Re: pg_hba.conf additional comment re local line

Lists: pgsql-patches
From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_hba.conf additional comment re local line
Date: 2004-09-21 16:54:55
Lists: pgsql-patches

The attached tiny patch will possibly help to avoid some confusion by
Windows users about the "local" line in pg_hba.conf (and thus help
reduce queries to us ;-) ). It also removes an essentially content-free
suffix in 2 nearby comment lines.

cheers

andrew

Attachment Content-Type Size
hba.patch text/x-patch 1.2 KB

> The attached tiny patch will possibly help to avoid some confusion by
> Windows users about the "local" line in pg_hba.conf (and thus help
> reduce queries to us ;-) ). It also removes an essentially
> content-free suffix in 2 nearby comment lines.

Maybe initdb should just remove those lines on Windows.

--
Peter Eisentraut

>>The attached tiny patch will possibly help to avoid some confusion by
>>Windows users about the "local" line in pg_hba.conf (and thus help
>>reduce queries to us ;-) ). It also removes an essentially
>>content-free suffix in 2 nearby comment lines.
>>

>Maybe initdb should just remove those lines on Windows.

You are probably right. initdb's filtering capabilities are (by design)
rather primitive - I didn't want to clutter it up with regex code - so
it's a bit less easy than it might otherwise be.

This patch was done as a "quick fix".

If someone doesn't beat me to it I will try to look at initdb in the
next week or so.

cheers

andrew

> The attached tiny patch will possibly help to avoid some confusion by
> Windows users about the "local" line in pg_hba.conf (and thus help
> reduce queries to us ;-) ).

I was wondering if we could teach initdb to remove that line altogether
in Windows installations.

regards, tom lane

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>

>>The attached tiny patch will possibly help to avoid some confusion by
>>Windows users about the "local" line in pg_hba.conf (and thus help
>>reduce queries to us ;-) ).
>>

>I was wondering if we could teach initdb to remove that line altogether
>in Windows installations.

See later email.

Of course it can be done. Probably the simplest way is a new small
routine called, say filter_token, which would remove lines containing a
given token:

static char **filter_token(char **lines, char *token);

Then we could have something like:

#ifdef WIN32 (orwhatever we are calling it now)
conflines = filter_token(conflines,"@remove-line-for-win32@");
#else
conflines = replace_token(conflines, "@remove-line-for-win32@","");
#endif

Incidentally, even Unix users frequently get confused about the "local"
line - one of the commonest newbie mistakes is to think it means
localhost. So marking it clearly as being for Unix domain sockets would
still be a Good Thing (tm).

cheers

andrew