Re: make fails if path has spaces

Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32pgsql-patches
From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: make fails if path has spaces
Date: 2004-08-02 11:26:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

Andreas Pflug wrote:
> If configure detects some tools in the existing path, the build process
> may fail.
> In my case, there's perl under c:\program files. make will fail while in
> bin/psql because "/c/program" is not found.

I am not surprised. We do not do proper quoting of environment
variables in configure.in. I also don't know if the autoconf program
that creates the configure output does proper quoting either. Can you
tell us where it is failing by looking in config.log?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

>>If configure detects some tools in the existing path, the build process
>>may fail.
>>In my case, there's perl under c:\program files. make will fail while in
>>bin/psql because "/c/program" is not found.
>

> I am not surprised. We do not do proper quoting of environment
> variables in configure.in. I also don't know if the autoconf program
> that creates the configure output does proper quoting either. Can you
> tell us where it is failing by looking in config.log?

I'm no sure what you mean. AFAICS configure does detect the program
location all right, but it should either omit the full path, so the
program is located using $PATH, or executables found should be quoted.

Regards,
Andreas

> >>If configure detects some tools in the existing path, the build process
> >>may fail.
> >>In my case, there's perl under c:\program files. make will fail while in
> >>bin/psql because "/c/program" is not found.
> >

> > I am not surprised. We do not do proper quoting of environment
> > variables in configure.in. I also don't know if the autoconf program
> > that creates the configure output does proper quoting either. Can you
> > tell us where it is failing by looking in config.log?
>
> I'm no sure what you mean. AFAICS configure does detect the program
> location all right, but it should either omit the full path, so the
> program is located using $PATH, or executables found should be quoted.

Yes, the executable has to be quoted. Where is it being referenced
unquoted?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us