Re: 8.5 TODO: any info on "Create dump tool for write-ahead logs..." in PITR section (1.4)?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com" <shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 8.5 TODO: any info on "Create dump tool for write-ahead logs..." in PITR section (1.4)?
Date: 2009-10-02 22:30:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Can anyone elaborate (or point me to some additional info) on the 8.5
TODO item in the "Point-In-Time Recover (PITR) section (1.4)":
Create dump tool for write-ahead logs for use in determining
transaction id for point-in-time recovery
This is useful for checking PITR recovery.

I poked around a bit and found some code that "walks" the WAL logs (in
src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c, I think) and I could probably
figure out how to display a WAL log file contents, but I'm hoping
someone can provide some context as to what issue this TODO item is
trying to address (i.e., what output would be useful).

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 7:30 AM, shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com
<shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Can anyone elaborate (or point me to some additional info) on the 8.5
> TODO item in the "Point-In-Time Recover (PITR) section (1.4)":
>  Create dump tool for write-ahead logs for use in determining
> transaction id for point-in-time recovery
>     This is useful for checking PITR recovery.
>
> I poked around a bit and found some code that "walks" the WAL logs (in
> src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c, I think) and I could probably
> figure out how to display a WAL log file contents, but I'm hoping
> someone can provide some context as to what issue this TODO item is
> trying to address (i.e., what output would be useful).

I think that xlogdump (http://xlogviewer.projects.postgresql.org/) is
the first step to address that TODO item. Though I'm not sure if the
xlogdump project is still active.

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center