Re: procpid in pg_stat_activity but no correspoding backend

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: procpid in pg_stat_activity but no correspoding backend
Date: 2003-11-12 17:13:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi ,

I noticed that an entry in pg_stat_activity was existing for a
long duration > 2 mins while its backend ( process corresponding
to that procpid) was not running.

how can it be possible ?

version: 7.3.4

regds
mallah.

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2003-11-12 18:10:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I noticed that an entry in pg_stat_activity was existing for a
> long duration > 2 mins while its backend ( process corresponding
> to that procpid) was not running.
>
> how can it be possible ?
>
> version: 7.3.4

There was a bug that caused a crashing backend to hang around in the
stats until the slot is reused, because the message telling that the
backend terminates is never sent to the collector daemon. I'm not sure
if that got fixed for 7.4.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #

>> I noticed that an entry in pg_stat_activity was existing for a
>> long duration > 2 mins while its backend ( process corresponding
>> to that procpid) was not running.
>>
>> how can it be possible ?
>>
>> version: 7.3.4
>

> There was a bug that caused a crashing backend to hang around in the
> stats until the slot is reused, because the message telling that the
> backend terminates is never sent to the collector daemon. I'm not sure
> if that got fixed for 7.4.

Thanks for explaining.

Regds
Mallah.