Re: Question regarding coopting Database Engine

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Steve Yalovitser" <yalo(at)integrasoftware(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Question regarding coopting Database Engine
Date: 2003-09-30 04:10:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I'd like to know if its possible to coopt the postgres storage subsystem to
rely entirely on ram based structures, rather than disk. Any documentation
or ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Steve Yalovitser <yalo(at)integrasoftware(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question regarding coopting Database Engine
Date: 2003-10-03 15:24:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Steve Yalovitser wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know if its possible to coopt the postgres storage subsystem to
> rely entirely on ram based structures, rather than disk. Any documentation
> or ideas would be appreciated.

Sure, create a ram disk. Set $PGDATA to it with proper permissions,
initdb, and restore.

Not sure why'd you wanna do it, as any crash loses all data, and
postgresql's strengths lie in its ability to survive the most brutal power
off situations mid-transaction etc...