Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL mission statement?
Date: 2002-05-01 18:24:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just out of curiosity, does PostgreSQL have a mission statement?

If so, where could I find it?

If not, does anyone see a need?

(No, I am not some rabid MBA, but it may be useful to have for those rabid MBAs
with whom I must deal.)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?
Date: 2002-05-01 23:05:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> writes:
> Just out of curiosity, does PostgreSQL have a mission statement?

Nope. Given the wide variety of views among the developer community,
I think we'd have a tough time agreeing on a mission statement, unless
it was so generic as to be meaningless ...

regards, tom lane

> mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> writes:
> > Just out of curiosity, does PostgreSQL have a mission statement?

> Nope. Given the wide variety of views among the developer community,
> I think we'd have a tough time agreeing on a mission statement, unless
> it was so generic as to be meaningless ...

Well, I think one of the things that has been agreed on that _isn't_
that generic is:
"We use a Berkeley style license, and prefer it that way."

:-)
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@ntlug.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html