Strange permission problem regarding pg_settings

Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Strange permission problem regarding pg_settings
Date: 2003-12-10 07:05:28
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi

I installed a postgres-application (which was developed on debian
woody) on red hat 9 today, using the postgres 7.3 rpms from redhad.
One of my the triggers uses the pg_settings table (more precisely, it
updates that table to change the search_path temporarily). With the
postgres 7.3 (and 7.4 too) installed on my debian development system,
this worked fine. On redhat 9, however, I get an "pg_settings:
permission denied" error when my trigger is executed.

The same thing happens when I try altering the pg_settings table from
the commandline. (But of course works, when connected as superuser). I
double-checked the permissions set on both the pg_settings view, and
the set_config(text, text, bool)-function called from the update-rule
for pg_settings, and both seem to be correct (and the same as on the
debian machine).

As I needed to get the thing running, I now solved the problem by
making the user that my app connects as a superuser, but I'd like to
get rid of this again...

Are there any more permission I could check, or perhaps some
config-option in postgres.conf that I could try?

greetings, Florian Pflug

PS: I also tried moving the postgres-data-dir away, and creating a
fresh one with initdb - but with no success - still "pg_settings:
permission denied"

> I installed a postgres-application (which was developed on debian woody)
> on red hat 9 today, using the postgres 7.3 rpms from redhad.
> One of my the triggers uses the pg_settings table (more precisely, it
> updates that table to change the search_path temporarily). With the
> postgres 7.3 (and 7.4 too) installed on my debian development system,
> this worked fine. On redhat 9, however, I get an "pg_settings:
> permission denied" error when my trigger is executed.

I've got Red Hat 9 here, but it is hard to guess what might be wrong
without seeing some details. Can you post a self-contained example that
recreates the problem?

Joe

On Dec 10, 2003, at 8:19 AM, Joe Conway wrote:
> Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>> I installed a postgres-application (which was developed on debian
>> woody) on red hat 9 today, using the postgres 7.3 rpms from redhad.
>> One of my the triggers uses the pg_settings table (more precisely, it
>> updates that table to change the search_path temporarily). With the
>> postgres 7.3 (and 7.4 too) installed on my debian development system,
>> this worked fine. On redhat 9, however, I get an "pg_settings:
>> permission denied" error when my trigger is executed.
> I've got Red Hat 9 here, but it is hard to guess what might be wrong
> without seeing some details. Can you post a self-contained example
> that recreates the problem?

This is what I did:
As user postgres (connected to template1)
.) create user testuser password 'pw' nocreatedb nocreateuser
.) create database testdb owner testuser encoding 'utf-8'

As user testuser (connected to testdb) :
.) update pg_settings set setting='public' where name='search_path' ;
this gives "pg_settings: permission denied"

.) select set_config('search_path', 'public', 'f') ;
this works, and sets the search_path as expected to 'public'

On debian(woody), with a woody-backport of postgresql-7.3 installed
(the packages for sid recompiled for woody, and installed with dpkg),
the "update pg_settings..." statement works.

As soon as I remove the "nocreateuser" from the "create user
testuser...." line (or alter the user afterwards), it works on redhat
too (but the user is superuser then, of course...)

If you need further information, or want me to test something, just say
so ;-)

greetings, Florian Pflug

"Florian G. Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> writes:
> As user testuser (connected to testdb) :
> .) update pg_settings set setting='public' where name='search_path' ;
> this gives "pg_settings: permission denied"

Hm. Works fine here. What do you get from

select relacl, relacl is null from pg_class where relname = 'pg_settings';

regards, tom lane

On Dec 10, 2003, at 5:35 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Florian G. Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> writes:
>> As user testuser (connected to testdb) :
>> .) update pg_settings set setting='public' where name='search_path' ;
>> this gives "pg_settings: permission denied"
> Hm. Works fine here. What do you get from
> select relacl, relacl is null from pg_class where relname =
> 'pg_settings';

testdb=> select relacl, relacl is null from pg_class where relname =
'pg_settings' ;
relacl | ?column?
--------+----------
{=r} | f
(1 row)

mfg, Florian Pflug

> "Florian G. Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> writes:
>>As user testuser (connected to testdb) :
>>.) update pg_settings set setting='public' where name='search_path' ;
>>this gives "pg_settings: permission denied"
>
> Hm. Works fine here. What do you get from
>
> select relacl, relacl is null from pg_class where relname = 'pg_settings';

Works fine here too, on RH9:

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit

regression=# \c template1
You are now connected to database template1.
template1=# create user testuser password 'pw' nocreatedb nocreateuser;
CREATE USER
template1=# create database testdb owner testuser encoding 'utf-8';
CREATE DATABASE
template1=# \c testdb testuser
You are now connected to database testdb as user testuser.
testdb=> update pg_settings set setting='public' where name='search_path' ;
set_config
public
(1 row)