Re: Launching commitfest.postgresql.org

Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-www
From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Launching commitfest.postgresql.org
Date: 2009-07-09 16:06:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

2009/7/7 Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> We're now about a week away from the start of the July 2009
> commitfest, and we need to make a decision about whether to start
> using http://commitfest.postgresql.org to manage it, or punt to the
> next commitfest and continue to use the wiki for July.

Thank you to everyone who commented in the parent thread. Robert
feels we're ready to go ahead and commission the new commitfest app
for the upcoming 'fest beginning 15 July, and he's asked me to do the
honours.

So, effective immediately, please treat
http://commitfest.postgresql.org as your authoritative source for
commitfests going forward.

The app is written and maintained by Robert Haas, and the source code
is located at:

web: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgcommitfest.git
git: git://git.postgresql.org/git/pgcommitfest.git

Your login details for the app == your community login == your wiki login.

The overall workflow, structure and layout of the commitfest is pretty
much the same. The only material difference you'll notice is that
you're filling out forms with discrete fields instead of delicately
shunting curly braces and pipes around in a giant textarea.

Closed commitfests from the 8.4 cycle will continue to live in their
current form on the wiki.

The wiki page for 2009-First will shortly be replaced by a brief
boilerplate pointing to the new app. The patches currently on that
page will be copied to an archive page at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest_2009-First_Archive.

I would prefer to change the CommitFestOpen and CommitFestInProgress
redirects on the wiki to point at the app, but wiki redirects can only
link to other articles in the same wiki; external URLs are not
allowed. So both of these pages will continue to point at 2009-First,
which will instruct the user to go to the app.

I will be working my way through the Developer Information pages on
the wiki, updating as necessary. If you notice a page on the wiki
with out-of-date information regarding commitfests, feel free to ping
me about it (or fix it yourself; it is a wiki after all).

Cheers,
BJ

On Thursday 09 July 2009 19:06:35 Brendan Jurd wrote:
> Your login details for the app == your community login == your wiki login.

One thing I forgot to mention: Please set up an SSL server certificate around
the login page.

On Jul 9, 2009, at 5:07 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> On Thursday 09 July 2009 19:06:35 Brendan Jurd wrote:
>> Your login details for the app == your community login == your wiki
>> login.
>
> One thing I forgot to mention: Please set up an SSL server
> certificate around
> the login page.

Who will provide and pay for it?

...Robert

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:31 PM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2009, at 5:07 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 09 July 2009 19:06:35 Brendan Jurd wrote:
>>>
>>> Your login details for the app == your community login == your wiki
>>> login.
>>
>> One thing I forgot to mention: Please set up an SSL server certificate
>> around
>> the login page.
>
> Who will provide and pay for it?

We have a wildcard cert for the domain. I'm going on vacation at the
weekend, and have to wrap up a bunch of stuff at work tomorrow, but if
you talk nicely to Stefan...

--
Dave Page

On Jul 9, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:31 PM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:

>>> One thing I forgot to mention: Please set up an SSL server
>>> certificate
>>> around
>>> the login page.
>>
>> Who will provide and pay for it?
>
> We have a wildcard cert for the domain. I'm going on vacation at the
> weekend, and have to wrap up a bunch of stuff at work tomorrow, but if
> you talk nicely to Stefan...

Stefan, you are mighty and have powerful administration skills.
Indeed, you have knowledge of many passwords that are hidden from the
foolish. I humbly beseech you for a copy of the aforementioned cert on
coridan...

Is that enough? I can go on... :-)

...Robert

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 2:23 AM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> We have a wildcard cert for the domain. I'm going on vacation at the
>> weekend, and have to wrap up a bunch of stuff at work tomorrow, but if
>> you talk nicely to Stefan...
>
> Stefan, you are mighty and have powerful administration skills. Indeed, you
> have knowledge of many passwords that are hidden from the foolish. I humbly
> beseech you for a copy of the aforementioned cert on coridan...
>
> Is that enough?  I can go on... :-)

Hey, that's really very good. Feel free to continue though, it's quite
amusing :-)

--
Dave Page

> On Jul 9, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:31 PM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
>> wrote:

>>> Who will provide and pay for it?
>>
>> We have a wildcard cert for the domain. I'm going on vacation at the
>> weekend, and have to wrap up a bunch of stuff at work tomorrow, but if
>> you talk nicely to Stefan...
>
> Stefan, you are mighty and have powerful administration skills. Indeed,
> you have knowledge of many passwords that are hidden from the foolish. I
> humbly beseech you for a copy of the aforementioned cert on coridan...
>
> Is that enough? I can go on... :-)

not enough for getting it done immediately - but I will take a look
later today...

Stefan

>> On Jul 9, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

>>> We have a wildcard cert for the domain. I'm going on vacation at the
>>> weekend, and have to wrap up a bunch of stuff at work tomorrow, but if
>>> you talk nicely to Stefan...
>>
>> Stefan, you are mighty and have powerful administration skills.
>> Indeed, you have knowledge of many passwords that are hidden from the
>> foolish. I humbly beseech you for a copy of the aforementioned cert on
>> coridan...
>>
>> Is that enough? I can go on... :-)
>
> not enough for getting it done immediately - but I will take a look
> later today...

https support is now available on that jail (maybe we should simply
always redirect to the https url on all pages).
I also rearranged some of the configuration files as well as fixing a
few omissions from the initial install(like erm - where the hell are the
backups?!) so any new breakage is likely mine :)

Stefan

On Friday 10 July 2009 19:35:56 Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> https support is now available on that jail (maybe we should simply
> always redirect to the https url on all pages).

Yeah, at least the login page should be redirected to https. Right now, you
have to detect the SSL support by guessing and manually manipulating the URL.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Peter Eisentraut<peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On Friday 10 July 2009 19:35:56 Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> https support is now available on that jail (maybe we should simply
>> always redirect to the https url on all pages).
>
> Yeah, at least the login page should be redirected to https.  Right now, you
> have to detect the SSL support by guessing and manually manipulating the URL.

+1 for redirecting the whole site. I don't think the extra CPU load
of SSL is going to bother anyone for the amount of traffic we're
likely to have on that site. Simplicity is good.

...Robert

> +1 for redirecting the whole site.  I don't think the extra CPU load
> of SSL is going to bother anyone for the amount of traffic we're
> likely to have on that site.  Simplicity is good.

+1 for SSL on all pages from me also.

Cheers,
BJ

> 2009/7/14 Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>> +1 for redirecting the whole site. I don't think the extra CPU load
>> of SSL is going to bother anyone for the amount of traffic we're
>> likely to have on that site. Simplicity is good.
>>

> +1 for SSL on all pages from me also.

yeah fine with me - who is going to do this?

Stefan

On Jul 14, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc
> wrote:

> Brendan Jurd wrote:
>> 2009/7/14 Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>>> +1 for redirecting the whole site. I don't think the extra CPU load
>>> of SSL is going to bother anyone for the amount of traffic we're
>>> likely to have on that site. Simplicity is good.
>>>
>> +1 for SSL on all pages from me also.
>
> yeah fine with me - who is going to do this?

If you have time, that would be great; if not I will do it.

...Robert

> On Jul 14, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
>
>> Brendan Jurd wrote:
>>>>
>>> +1 for SSL on all pages from me also.
>>
>> yeah fine with me - who is going to do this?
>
> If you have time, that would be great; if not I will do it.

well you just volunteered...

have fun :)

Stefan