Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "John Wells" <jb(at)devsea(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date: 2003-10-08 15:23:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Yes, I know you've seen the above subject before, so please be gentle with
the flamethrowers.

I'm preparing to enter a discussion with management at my company
regarding going forward as either a MySql shop or a Postgresql shop.

It's my opinion that we should be using PG, because of the full ACID
support, and the license involved. A consultant my company hired before
bringing me in is pushing hard for MySql, citing speed and community
support, as well as ACID support.

My biggest concern with MySQL is licensing. We need to keep costs low,
and last I remember the parent company was being pretty strict on "fair
use" under the GPL. If I recall, they even said a company would have to
license the commercial version if it were simply used operationally within
the company.

Also, I was under the impression that Postgresql had pretty much caught up
with MySql in the speed category...is this not the case?

Finally, ACID support in mysql always seemed kind of a hack....perhaps
this has changed?

Thanks for any input (armament ;) ) you can provide.

John

Sorry for the repost again. I emailed the Admin asking to cancel it (I
originally posted from a non-subscribed address), but perhaps he missed
it.

John

John Wells said:
> Yes, I know you've seen the above subject before, so please be gentle with
> the flamethrowers.
>
> I'm preparing to enter a discussion with management at my company
> regarding going forward as either a MySql shop or a Postgresql shop.
>
> It's my opinion that we should be using PG, because of the full ACID
> support, and the license involved. A consultant my company hired before
> bringing me in is pushing hard for MySql, citing speed and community
> support, as well as ACID support.
>
> My biggest concern with MySQL is licensing. We need to keep costs low,
> and last I remember the parent company was being pretty strict on "fair
> use" under the GPL. If I recall, they even said a company would have to
> license the commercial version if it were simply used operationally within
> the company.
>
> Also, I was under the impression that Postgresql had pretty much caught up
> with MySql in the speed category...is this not the case?
>
> Finally, ACID support in mysql always seemed kind of a hack....perhaps
> this has changed?
>
> Thanks for any input (armament ;) ) you can provide.
>
> John

>Yes, I know you've seen the above subject before, so please be gentle with
>the flamethrowers.
>
>I'm preparing to enter a discussion with management at my company
>regarding going forward as either a MySql shop or a Postgresql shop.
>
>It's my opinion that we should be using PG, because of the full ACID
>support, and the license involved. A consultant my company hired before
>bringing me in is pushing hard for MySql, citing speed and community
>support, as well as ACID support.
>
>My biggest concern with MySQL is licensing. We need to keep costs low,
>and last I remember the parent company was being pretty strict on "fair
>use" under the GPL. If I recall, they even said a company would have to
>license the commercial version if it were simply used operationally within
>the company.
>
>Also, I was under the impression that Postgresql had pretty much caught up
>with MySql in the speed category...is this not the case?
>
>Finally, ACID support in mysql always seemed kind of a hack....perhaps
>this has changed?
>
>Thanks for any input (armament ;) ) you can provide.

Take a look at this document: http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html
You will find that there are some "features" that are realy undesirable
in a serious SGBD.

--
Diogo Biazus
diogo(at)ikono(dot)com(dot)br