8.3.7 Windows Update Error

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 8.3.7 Windows Update Error
Date: 2009-03-25 17:25:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Using the following links to get to the PostgreSQL 8.3.7 (Windows)
one-click installer:

http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do#windows

and then running the update utility, I get the following error message:

"[Error]
The existing data directory (Date/time setting: floating-point
numbers) is not compatible with this server (Date/time setting: 64-bit
integers)."

Q1) Will a fresh install with dump and reload work?
Q2) Is integer timestamps becoming the new default from the previous
floating point data type?

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 10:25 -0700, Richard Broersma wrote:
> Using the following links to get to the PostgreSQL 8.3.7 (Windows)
> one-click installer:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do#windows
>
> and then running the update utility, I get the following error message:
>
> "[Error]
> The existing data directory (Date/time setting: floating-point
> numbers) is not compatible with this server (Date/time setting: 64-bit
> integers)."
>

> Q1) Will a fresh install with dump and reload work?

Yes.

> Q2) Is integer timestamps becoming the new default from the previous
> floating point data type?

In 8.4 yes. Not sure why the windows installer does that now.

Joshua D. Drake

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

> Using the following links to get to the PostgreSQL 8.3.7 (Windows)
> one-click installer:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do#windows
>
> and then running the update utility, I get the following error message:
>
> "[Error]
> The existing data directory (Date/time setting: floating-point
> numbers) is not compatible with this server (Date/time setting: 64-bit
> integers)."
>

> Q1) Will a fresh install with dump and reload work?

Yes.

> Q2) Is integer timestamps becoming the new default from the previous
> floating point data type?

My guess is that your previous install was from the community MSI
installer, and not the one-click one. Could that be it?

(and yes, it's becoming the new default I believe - but it doesn't
(shouldn't) change between minor versions)

//Magnus

>> Q2) Is integer timestamps becoming the new default from the previous
>> floating point data type?

> My guess is that your previous install was from the community MSI
> installer, and not the one-click one. Could that be it?

> (and yes, it's becoming the new default I believe - but it doesn't
> (shouldn't) change between minor versions)

Right, but in 8.3 and even before, different people have been
putting out binary builds with different choices :-(. I'm not sure
it's going to magically get better in 8.4. If Bruce gets anywhere
with pg_migrator before 8.4 final, there will be a very strong
temptation to stick with whatever one was using before, so as to
avoid forcing a dump/reload...

regards, tom lane