Re: commit fests (was Re: primary key error message)

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: primary key error message
Date: 2010-01-21 20:30:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here is a small patch that changes the error message

duplicate key value violates unique constraint "%s"

into

duplicate key value violates primary key "%s"

when the constraint is in fact a primary key.

Comments?

PS: Yes, this would need a handful of regression test updates if
accepted.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pk-errmsg.patch text/x-patch 1.0 KB

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> Here is a small patch that changes the error message
>
>    duplicate key value violates unique constraint "%s"
>
> into
>
>    duplicate key value violates primary key "%s"
>
> when the constraint is in fact a primary key.
>
> Comments?

Why bother? And why bother now, when we're in the middle of the last
CommitFest and trying to move toward a release?

...Robert

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> Here is a small patch that changes the error message
>>
>> duplicate key value violates unique constraint "%s"
>>
>> into
>>
>> duplicate key value violates primary key "%s"
>>
>> when the constraint is in fact a primary key.
>>
>> Comments?

> Why bother? And why bother now, when we're in the middle of the last
> CommitFest and trying to move toward a release?

This patch fails to cover all cases (index build being the obvious
omission, but I think there might be other paths as well where the
information is not so readily available). And I agree with Robert
that the usefulness is at best highly debatable.

regards, tom lane

On tor, 2010-01-21 at 15:51 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> >> Here is a small patch that changes the error message
> >>
> >> duplicate key value violates unique constraint "%s"
> >>
> >> into
> >>
> >> duplicate key value violates primary key "%s"
> >>
> >> when the constraint is in fact a primary key.
> >>
> >> Comments?
>
> > Why bother? And why bother now, when we're in the middle of the last
> > CommitFest and trying to move toward a release?
>
> This patch fails to cover all cases (index build being the obvious
> omission, but I think there might be other paths as well where the
> information is not so readily available).

This is the user-visible error message, and that's the only place it's
generated.

> And I agree with Robert that the usefulness is at best highly debatable.

The usefulness is that they are different kinds of objects that are
defined and listed in different ways and it would be slightly helpful if
the error message pointed in the righter direction.

On tor, 2010-01-21 at 15:47 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> > Here is a small patch that changes the error message
> >
> > duplicate key value violates unique constraint "%s"
> >
> > into
> >
> > duplicate key value violates primary key "%s"
> >
> > when the constraint is in fact a primary key.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Why bother?

Because unique constraints and primary keys are different things and it
would be slightly less confusing that way.

> And why bother now, when we're in the middle of the last
> CommitFest and trying to move toward a release?

Are you saying we can't discuss anything new during the commit fest?

> On tor, 2010-01-21 at 15:51 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> This patch fails to cover all cases (index build being the obvious
>> omission, but I think there might be other paths as well where the
>> information is not so readily available).

> This is the user-visible error message, and that's the only place it's
> generated.

Hardly ...

regression=# create table foo (f1 int);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# insert into foo values(1),(1);
INSERT 0 2
regression=# alter table foo add primary key (f1);
NOTICE: ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "foo_pkey" for table "foo"
ERROR: could not create unique index "foo_pkey"
DETAIL: Key (f1)=(1) is duplicated.

>> And I agree with Robert that the usefulness is at best highly debatable.

> The usefulness is that they are different kinds of objects that are
> defined and listed in different ways and it would be slightly helpful if
> the error message pointed in the righter direction.

It is not incorrect to refer to a primary key as a unique constraint.
Will you next be wanting the error messages about null values to
distinguish whether the NOT NULL constraint came from a primary key?

regards, tom lane

On tor, 2010-01-21 at 16:29 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> regression=# alter table foo add primary key (f1);
> NOTICE: ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "foo_pkey" for table "foo"
> ERROR: could not create unique index "foo_pkey"
> DETAIL: Key (f1)=(1) is duplicated.

He he, that one doesn't even refer to a "constraint". Might also need
fixing. ;-)

> It is not incorrect to refer to a primary key as a unique constraint.

Some things need a primary key that is not only a unique constraint. So
having some clarity about that can be helpful.

> Will you next be wanting the error messages about null values to
> distinguish whether the NOT NULL constraint came from a primary key?

Hadn't thought of that, but it could actually become relevant when we
get named not null constraints.

But anyway, if there is no interest in this, then forget about it.