Re: why do we have rd_istemp?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: why do we have rd_istemp?
Date: 2010-04-23 00:45:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Given "Relation rel", it looks to me like rel->rd_rel->relistemp will
always give the same answer as rel->rd_istemp. So why have both?

...Robert

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: why do we have rd_istemp?
Date: 2010-04-23 04:46:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Given "Relation rel", it looks to me like rel->rd_rel->relistemp will
> always give the same answer as rel->rd_istemp. So why have both?

Might be historical --- relistemp is pretty new.

regards, tom lane

> > Given "Relation rel", it looks to me like rel->rd_rel->relistemp will
> > always give the same answer as rel->rd_istemp. So why have both?
>
> Might be historical --- relistemp is pretty new.

Is this a TODO or something we want to clean up?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

>>> Given "Relation rel", it looks to me like rel->rd_rel->relistemp will
>>> always give the same answer as rel->rd_istemp. So why have both?
>>
>> Might be historical --- relistemp is pretty new.

> Is this a TODO or something we want to clean up?

Doesn't strike me that it's worth the amount of code that would have to
change. rd_istemp is known in a lot of places. Replacing it with a
double indirection doesn't seem attractive anyway.

regards, tom lane