Re: more personal copyrights

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: more personal copyrights
Date: 2010-08-09 05:18:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

A few months ago Bruce was doing a hunting of personal Copyrights
notices, but i still found a lot of files copyrighted to: Regents of
the University of California and other files copyrighted to
individuals (ej: almost everything inside src/backend/regex is
copyrighted to Henry Spencer)

there's something we can/need to do about it?
I can make a list if anyone is interested showing what files are still
copyrighted to something different to 'PostgreSQL Global Development
Group'

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL

> A few months ago Bruce was doing a hunting of personal Copyrights
> notices, but i still found a lot of files copyrighted to: Regents of
> the University of California and other files copyrighted to
> individuals (ej: almost everything inside src/backend/regex is
> copyrighted to Henry Spencer)
>
> there's something we can/need to do about it?
> I can make a list if anyone is interested showing what files are still
> copyrighted to something different to 'PostgreSQL Global Development
> Group'

I am not sure if we could arbitrarily change the copyright notices
without explicit permissions from the original authors.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> A few months ago Bruce was doing a hunting of personal Copyrights
> notices, but i still found a lot of files copyrighted to: Regents of
> the University of California and other files copyrighted to
> individuals (ej: almost everything inside src/backend/regex is
> copyrighted to Henry Spencer)
>
> there's something we can/need to do about it?
> I can make a list if anyone is interested showing what files are still
> copyrighted to something different to 'PostgreSQL Global Development
> Group'

Henry Spencer probably didn't intend to become a member of the
PostgreSQL Global Development Group; he wrote a regex library, which
we included because the license was sufficiently permissive for our
needs.

Or at least, that's how I understand it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 02:27:50PM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > A few months ago Bruce was doing a hunting of personal Copyrights
> > notices, but i still found a lot of files copyrighted to: Regents
> > of the University of California and other files copyrighted to
> > individuals (ej: almost everything inside src/backend/regex is
> > copyrighted to Henry Spencer)
> >
> > there's something we can/need to do about it? I can make a list
> > if anyone is interested showing what files are still copyrighted
> > to something different to 'PostgreSQL Global Development Group'
>
> I am not sure if we could arbitrarily change the copyright notices
> without explicit permissions from the original authors.

We can't.

What we should probably do is come up with a list of exceptions (Henry
Spencer's regex library, e.g.) and a script to find all non-exception
copyright notices. This will help us keep the copyrights in the code
base to the standard we set.

I can even see this becoming a commit- or push- hook. :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!