Re: PL/PySQL?

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "Carlos Villela" <carlos(at)valenti(dot)com(dot)br>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <python-list(at)egroups(dot)com>
Subject: PL/PySQL?
Date: 2001-01-25 17:55:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!

I've been taking a look in the Feature Lists / TODO Files of PostgreSQL 7.1,
and thought "hey, why is there PL/pgSQL, Perl and TCL interpreters available
for PostgreSQL and no Python one? That'd be a great thing for, ie, Zope!"

Any thougts? What would it take to do it? Just some PgSQL Language API
hacking and glueing with Python's C API? If somebody's got more experience
with that internals of PostgreSQL or the Python C API, i'm very interested
in getting more information about how the thing would work.

Thanks in advance,

# Carlos Villela
# leecho(at)brasnet(dot)org
# ICQ UIN 6962556

"Carlos Villela" <carlos(at)valenti(dot)com(dot)br> writes:
> I've been taking a look in the Feature Lists / TODO Files of PostgreSQL 7.1,
> and thought "hey, why is there PL/pgSQL, Perl and TCL interpreters available
> for PostgreSQL and no Python one? That'd be a great thing for, ie, Zope!"

Go for it ;-). IIRC, someone else has been making noises about such a
thing, but no submission has showed up. Check the PG mail list archives,
join forces, produce something ...

> Any thougts? What would it take to do it? Just some PgSQL Language API
> hacking and glueing with Python's C API?

The pltcl and plperl sources should give some hints --- note that
plperl is actually a hacked-up descendant of pltcl.

regards, tom lane

> Go for it ;-). IIRC, someone else has been making noises about such a
> thing, but no submission has showed up. Check the PG mail list archives,
> join forces, produce something ...
That would be really great and you would gain a lot of friends :).

Kind regards

Andreas.

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Carlos Villela <carlos(at)valenti(dot)com(dot)br>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, python-list(at)egroups(dot)com
Date: 2001-01-26 23:25:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Attached is an email from someone working on a PlPython.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

unknown_filename text/plain 0 bytes