Re: posgresql 8.0 RC1 missing schemas

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: Zsolt Pfiszter <zsolt(dot)pfiszter(at)hu(dot)ibm(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: posgresql 8.0 RC1 missing schemas
Date: 2004-12-17 13:17:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi All!

Sorry, if my problem is not a bug, I've searched for a reported issue, but
I haven't found one :(

We have compiled 8.0 RC1 on SLES 7.0 S/390 2.2.16 kernel, gcc version:
2.95.2

We run initdb command without error. It created a DB directory structure,
but didn't create some schemas in template1.
I connect to template1 and

template1=# select * from pg_tables;
schemaname | tablename | tableowner | tablespace |
hasind
--------------------+-------------------------+------------+------------+-------
information_schema | sql_languages | postgres | | f
information_schema | sql_packages | postgres | | f
information_schema | sql_sizing | postgres | | f
information_schema | sql_sizing_profiles | postgres | | f
information_schema | sql_features | postgres | | f
information_schema | sql_implementation_info | postgres | | f
pg_catalog | pg_shadow | postgres | pg_global | t
pg_catalog | pg_statistic | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_inherits | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_index | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_operator | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_opclass | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_am | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_amop | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_amproc | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_language | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_largeobject | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_aggregate | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_trigger | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_listener | postgres | | f
pg_catalog | pg_cast | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_namespace | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_conversion | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_depend | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_attrdef | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_constraint | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_database | postgres | pg_global | t
pg_catalog | pg_description | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_group | postgres | pg_global | t
pg_catalog | pg_proc | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_rewrite | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_type | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_attribute | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_class | postgres | | t
pg_catalog | pg_tablespace | postgres | pg_global | t

but

template1=# select * from pg_catalog.pg_tablespace;
ERROR: relation "pg_catalog.pg_tablespace" does not exist.

What can I do?
Is it a known or general problem?

Zsolt Pfiszter
DS System Administrator

ISC-Hungária Informatika Ltd.
33-35, Jász utca
Budapest H-1135
Hungary

Phone:(36 1) 412 4864 Mobile: (36) 20 8234864
Fax: (36 1) 412 4800
e-mail(IBM): <mailto:zsolt(dot)pfiszter(at)hu(dot)ibm(dot)com>
web: <http://www.isc-hungaria.hu/>

Zsolt Pfiszter <zsolt(dot)pfiszter(at)hu(dot)ibm(dot)com> writes:
> We have compiled 8.0 RC1 on SLES 7.0 S/390 2.2.16 kernel, gcc version:
> 2.95.2
> We run initdb command without error. It created a DB directory structure,
> but didn't create some schemas in template1.

Hmm, somebody reported something similar a couple days ago, but the
report was sufficiently confused that I kinda thought it was pilot error
of some sort. No, we don't know what's going on ...

> template1=# select * from pg_catalog.pg_tablespace;
> ERROR: relation "pg_catalog.pg_tablespace" does not exist.

Does it work if you just say "select * from pg_tablespace"? What do you
get from "select * from pg_namespace"?

regards, tom lane

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 12:06:01PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Zsolt Pfiszter <zsolt(dot)pfiszter(at)hu(dot)ibm(dot)com> writes:
> > We have compiled 8.0 RC1 on SLES 7.0 S/390 2.2.16 kernel, gcc version:
> > 2.95.2
> > We run initdb command without error. It created a DB directory structure,
> > but didn't create some schemas in template1.
>
> Hmm, somebody reported something similar a couple days ago, but the
> report was sufficiently confused that I kinda thought it was pilot error
> of some sort. No, we don't know what's going on ...

Both people reporting the problem appear to be in Hungary. Coincidence?

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 12:06:01PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Zsolt Pfiszter <zsolt(dot)pfiszter(at)hu(dot)ibm(dot)com> writes:
>>> We have compiled 8.0 RC1 on SLES 7.0 S/390 2.2.16 kernel, gcc version:
>>> 2.95.2
>>> We run initdb command without error. It created a DB directory structure,
>>> but didn't create some schemas in template1.
>>
>> Hmm, somebody reported something similar a couple days ago, but the
>> report was sufficiently confused that I kinda thought it was pilot error
>> of some sort. No, we don't know what's going on ...

> Both people reporting the problem appear to be in Hungary. Coincidence?

My, that's an interesting point. Zsolt, what locale are you running
initdb under? Does the problem go away if you do it in C locale?

regards, tom lane