Re: XLogArchivingActive

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: XLogArchivingActive
Date: 2006-05-25 11:00:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Currently, WAL files will be archived as soon as archive_command is set.
IMHO, this is not desirable if no permanent backup is wanted, but only
scheduled online backup because; it will flood the wal_archive
destination with files that will never be used.

I propose to introduce a GUC "permanent_archiving" or so, to select
whether wal archiving happens permanently or only when a backup is in
progress (i.e. between pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup).

Regards,
Andreas

Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> writes:
> I propose to introduce a GUC "permanent_archiving" or so, to select
> whether wal archiving happens permanently or only when a backup is in
> progress (i.e. between pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup).

This is silly. Why not just turn archiving on and off?

regards, tom lane

> Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> writes:
>
>>I propose to introduce a GUC "permanent_archiving" or so, to select
>>whether wal archiving happens permanently or only when a backup is in
>>progress (i.e. between pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup).
>

> This is silly. Why not just turn archiving on and off?

Not quite. I want online backup, but no archiving. Currently, I have to
edit postgresql.conf and SIGHUP to "turn on archiving" configuring a
(hopefully) writable directory, do the backup, edit postgresql.conf and
SIGHUP again. Not too convenient...

Regards,
Andreas