Re: [REVIEW] prepare plans of embedded sql on function start

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Review: prepare plans of embedded sql on function start
Date: 2011-09-05 21:03:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pavel, this patch:

It applied clean and compiled ok, but I cannot get it to work at all.

$ psql
Timing is on.
psql (9.2devel)
Type "help" for help.

andy=# set plpgsql.prepare_plans to on_start;
ERROR: unrecognized configuration parameter "plpgsql.prepare_plans"

It was also really upset when I added it to my postgresql.conf file.

I hate to split hairs, but the GUC having option on_start and on_demand seems weird. Most everything else is a yes/no. How'd you feel about renaming it to: prepare_plans_on_start = yes/no

But really its not start (start might imply you call the function and it starts executing), its on create, so maybe: prepare_plans_on_create = yes/no

-Andy