Re: Multicolumn indexes and ORDER BY

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Jernej Kos <kostko(at)jweb-network(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multicolumn indexes and ORDER BY
Date: 2004-06-16 05:12:26
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a multicolumn index on two columns. If i use the columns in ORDER BY
like this:
ORDER BY col1, col2;

The index is used. But, if one column is sorted DESC it is not used:
ORDER BY col1 DESC, col2;

How can i make this work ?

Regards,
Jernej Kos.
--
Kostko <kostko(at)jweb-network(dot)net>
JWeb-Network

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Jernej Kos <kostko(at)jweb-network(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multicolumn indexes and ORDER BY
Date: 2004-06-16 06:12:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 07:12:26AM +0200, Jernej Kos wrote:
> I have a multicolumn index on two columns. If i use the columns in ORDER BY
> like this:
> ORDER BY col1, col2;
>
> The index is used. But, if one column is sorted DESC it is not used:
> ORDER BY col1 DESC, col2;
>
> How can i make this work ?

Try:

ORDER BY col1 DESC, col2 desc;

Hope this helps,

From: Jernej Kos <kostko(at)jweb-network(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-06-16 13:39:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Yes i tried that already - and as you said, it works. But i need to have one
column sorted DESC and one ASC. Is there any way this could be done ?

Regards,
Jernej Kos.

--
Jernej Kos <kostko(at)jweb-network(dot)net>
JWeb-Network