Re:

Lists: pgsql-sql
From: "David J(dot) R(dot) Brook" <brookd(at)udmercy(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2001-01-27 00:03:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm trying to use the 'bit' and 'varbit' datatypes in a
table. The demo file 'varbit.demo.sql' runs fine but
when I
try to INSERT data into the table I get a message:

ERROR: zpbit_in: bit string of size 8 cannot be
written into
bits(1)

I can add data to the table through the console a la
demo
file though. I can also write one binary digit (i.e.
'B1')
using INSERT but I cannot write longer bit strings -
neither
can I find a way to make the type of the column to be
longer bit string. Any suggestions?

(I get the same problem with the varbit data type)

David Brook
Asst. Professor, Department of Chemistry and
Biochemistry
University of Detroit Mercy
ph: (313) 993-2495
fax: (313) 993-1144David Brook