Re: ERROR: (custom type via CREATE TYPE) is not a valid base type for a domain

Lists: pgsql-general
From: John Oyler <john(dot)m(dot)oyler(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ERROR: (custom type via CREATE TYPE) is not a valid base type for a domain
Date: 2009-11-21 21:55:27
Lists: pgsql-general

I receive this error message whenever I attempt to create a domain
from a custom type, but Google comes up short on explanations. A few
mailing list messages touch on the subject, but nothing like the
details on just where the limits lay or why they are as they are (or
even if work is being done on this, and a new version might allow this
someday).

I was hoping to create a domain so that I could constrain the value of
one of the elements dependent on the value of the other element(s).

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
John O.