Running some tests with different segment sizes

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Running some tests with different segment sizes
Date: 2017-09-19 17:54:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I'm working on merging the customizable segment size patch [1]. I'd
like to run some of the regression tests using it, to guarantee
non-standard settings have test coverage. The reason I'd like to adapt
an existing test, rather than add a new run of the standard regression
tests, is to avoid bloating the regression time unnecessarily.

I thought about starting with just changing pg_upgrade's rerun of the
standard test. Then maybe change one or two tests in src/test/recovery/?

Complaints, better ideas?

Andres Freund

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CAOG9ApHUj10U6ryyTBMqc4pu_yoghULF1YCBwefp4g%2BMovSJQA%40mail.gmail.com

> I'm working on merging the customizable segment size patch [1]. I'd
> like to run some of the regression tests using it, to guarantee
> non-standard settings have test coverage. The reason I'd like to adapt
> an existing test, rather than add a new run of the standard regression
> tests, is to avoid bloating the regression time unnecessarily.

Maybe there's a way to set up a buildfarm animal or two that run all
the tests with a different segsize?

regards, tom lane

On 2017-09-19 14:05:44 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I'm working on merging the customizable segment size patch [1]. I'd
> > like to run some of the regression tests using it, to guarantee
> > non-standard settings have test coverage. The reason I'd like to adapt
> > an existing test, rather than add a new run of the standard regression
> > tests, is to avoid bloating the regression time unnecessarily.
>
> Maybe there's a way to set up a buildfarm animal or two that run all
> the tests with a different segsize?

Hm, that'd work too. We could make initdb look at
getenv("PG_DEFAULT_SEGSIZE") or such? Otherwise it's probably not easy
to have all tests respect that.

I still would like to have at least one test that explicitly specifies a
different size so people can see if they outright break something, but
one would be enough if we had such an animal.

Greetings,

Andres Freund