Re: Escaping from blocked send() reprised.

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Escaping from blocked send() reprised.
Date: 2014-06-30 08:13:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, I have received inquiries related to blocked communication
several times for these weeks with different symptoms. Then I
found this message from archive,

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Escaping-a-blocked-sendto-syscall-without-causing-a-restart-td5740855.html

> Subject: Escaping a blocked sendto() syscall without causing a restart

Mr. Tom Lane gave a comment replying it,

> Offhand it looks to me like most signals would kick the backend off the
> send() call ... but it would loop right back and try again. See
> internal_flush() in pqcomm.c. (If you're using SSL, this diagnosis
> may or may not apply.)
>
> We can't do anything except repeat the send attempt if the client
> connection is to be kept in a sane state.
(snipped)
> And I'm not at all sure if we could get it to work in SSL mode...

That's true for timeouts that should continue the connection,
say, statement_timeout, but focusing on intentional backend
termination, I think it does no harm to break it up abruptly,
even if it was on SSL. On the other hand it seems still
preferable to keep a connection when not blocked. The following
expression would detects such a blocking state at just before
next send(2) after the previous try exited by signals.

(ProcDiePending && select(1, NULL, fd, NULL, '1 sec') == 0)

Finally, pg_terminate_backend() works even when send is blocked
for both SSL and non-SSL connections after 1 second delay with
this patch (break_socket_blocking_on_termination_v1.patch).

Nevetheless, of course statement_timeout cannot become effective
by this method since it breaks the consistency in the client
protocol. It needs change in client protocol to have "out of
band" mechanism or something, maybe.

Any suggestions?

Attached patches are:

- break_socket_blocking_on_termination_v1.patch : The patch to
break blocked state of send(2) for pg_terminate_backend().

- socket_block_test.patch : debug printing and changing send
buffer of libpq for reproducing the blocked situation.

Some point of discussion follows,

==== Discussion about the appropriateness of looking into
ProcDiePending there and calling CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS()
seeing it.

I have somewhat uneasiness of these things, but what we can at
most seems to be replacing ProcDiePending here with some another
variable, say ImmediatelyExitFromBlockedState, and somehow go
upstairs through normal return path. Additional Try-Catch seems
can do that but it looks no benefit for the added complexity..

==== Discussion on breaking up connetion especially for SSL

Breaking an SSL connection up in my_sock_write() cause the
following message on client side if it still lives and resumes to
receive from the connection, this seems to show that the client
handles the event properly.

| SSL SYSCALL error: EOF detected
| The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.

==== Discussion on reliability of select(2)

This method is not a perfect solution, since the select(2)
sometimes gives a wrong oracle about wheather the follwing
send(2) will be blocked.

Even so, as far as I see, select(2) just after exiting from
blocked send(2) by signal seems always says 'write will be
blocked', so what this patch does seems to save most cases except
when the any amount of socket buffer is vacated just before the
following select. The second chance to exit from blocked send(2)
won't come after this(, before one more pg_terminate_backend() ?).

Removing the select(2) from the condition (that is,
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() is called always ProcDiePending is true)
prevents such a possibility, in exchange for killing 'really
live' connection but IMHO it's no problem on intentional server
termination.

More reliable measure for this would be non-blocking IO but it
changes more of the code.

==== Reproducing the situation.

Another possible question would be about the possibility of such
blocking, or how to reproduce the situation. I found that send(2)
on CentOS6.5 somehow sends successfully, for most cases, the
remaining data at the retry after exiting by signal during being
blocked with buffer full, in spite of no change in environment.

So reproducing the stucked situation is rather difficult on the
server as is. But such situation would be reproduced quite easily
with some cheat, that is, enlarging PQ send buffer, say by ten
times.

Applying the attached testing patch (socket_block_test.patch),
the following steps will make the stucked situation.

1. Do a select which returns big result and enter Ctrl-Z just
after invoking.

cl> $ psql -h localhost postgres
cl> postgres=# select 1 from generate_series(0, 9999999);
cl> ^Z
cl> [4]+ Stopped psql -h localhost postgres

2. Watch the server to stuck.

The server starts to print lines like following to console
after a while, then stops. The number enclosed by the square
brackets is PID of the server.

sv> #### [8809] (bare) rest = 0 / 81920 bytes, ProcDiePending = 0

3. Do pg_terminate_backend().

cl> $ psql postgres -c "select pg_terminate_backend(8809)"

The server will stuck like follows, PID=8811 is the another
session made by the command just above.

sv> #### [8809] (bare) rest = 0 / 81920 bytes, ProcDiePending = 0
sv> #### [8811] (bare) rest = 0 / 327 bytes, ProcDiePending = 0
sv> #### [8809] (bare) rest = 500 / 81920 bytes, ProcDiePending = 1
sv> #### [8811] (bare) rest = 0 / 78 bytes, ProcDiePending = 0

The server 8809 is blocked during sending the remaining 500
bytes and won't come back forever except for SIGKILL, or
possible data reading on the client (fg does it).

cl> $ fg

sv> #### [8809] (bare) rest = 0 / 500 bytes, ProcDiePending = 1
sv> FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command
sv> STATEMENT: select 1 from generate_series(0, 9999999);
sv> #### [8809] (bare) rest = 0 / 116 bytes, ProcDiePending = 0
sv> #### [8883] (bare) rest = 0 / 327 bytes, ProcDiePending = 0

If you don't see the situation to occur, changing the value of
select clause (by its length, not by value:) would be
effective, or entering Ctrl-Z after some debug output also
would be effective.

For SSL connections, the debug output looks like the following,

sv> #### [20064] (bare) rest = 0 / 81920 bytes, ProcDiePending = 0
sv> #### [20064] (SSL) rest = 0 / 16413 bytes, ProcDiePending = 0
sv> #### [20064] (SSL) rest = 0 / 16413 bytes, ProcDiePending = 0
sv> #### [20064] (SSL) rest = 0 / 16413 bytes, ProcDiePending = 0
sv> #### [20064] (SSL) rest = 980 / 16413 bytes, ProcDiePending = 1
sv> #### [20064] (SSL) rest = 0 / 980 bytes, ProcDiePending = 1
sv> #### [20064] (SSL) rest = 1029 / 16413 bytes, ProcDiePending = 1

"bare" here in turn means the status of SSL_write and "SSL"
means the status of the underlying 'bare' socket of SSL
connection. (Sorry for the confising labelings..)

The (bare) line above is not corresponding to the following
bunch of (SSL) lines, but its precedents. At the fifth line,
send(2) exits by signal issued by pg_teminate_backend() then
retry (somehow) successfully at sixth line but SSL layer gave
another 16413 bytes and only 1029 bytes of that is sent by the
first try and the server stucked at the second try for the
seventh line. The control doesn't come back to secure_write()
during this sequence.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
break_socketblocking_on_termination_v1.patch text/x-patch 2.0 KB
socket_block_test.patch text/x-patch 1.3 KB

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 4:13 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
<horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Hello, I have received inquiries related to blocked communication
> several times for these weeks with different symptoms. Then I
> found this message from archive,
>
> http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Escaping-a-blocked-sendto-syscall-without-causing-a-restart-td5740855.html
>
>> Subject: Escaping a blocked sendto() syscall without causing a restart
>
> Mr. Tom Lane gave a comment replying it,
>
>> Offhand it looks to me like most signals would kick the backend off the
>> send() call ... but it would loop right back and try again. See
>> internal_flush() in pqcomm.c. (If you're using SSL, this diagnosis
>> may or may not apply.)
>>
>> We can't do anything except repeat the send attempt if the client
>> connection is to be kept in a sane state.
> (snipped)
>> And I'm not at all sure if we could get it to work in SSL mode...
>
> That's true for timeouts that should continue the connection,
> say, statement_timeout, but focusing on intentional backend
> termination, I think it does no harm to break it up abruptly,
> even if it was on SSL. On the other hand it seems still
> preferable to keep a connection when not blocked. The following
> expression would detects such a blocking state at just before
> next send(2) after the previous try exited by signals.
>
> (ProcDiePending && select(1, NULL, fd, NULL, '1 sec') == 0)
>
> Finally, pg_terminate_backend() works even when send is blocked
> for both SSL and non-SSL connections after 1 second delay with
> this patch (break_socket_blocking_on_termination_v1.patch).
>
> Nevetheless, of course statement_timeout cannot become effective
> by this method since it breaks the consistency in the client
> protocol. It needs change in client protocol to have "out of
> band" mechanism or something, maybe.
>
> Any suggestions?

You should probably add your patch here, so it doesn't get forgotten about:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open

We're focused on reviewing patches for the current CommitFest, so your
patch might not get attention right away. A couple of general
thoughts on this topic:

1. I think it's the case that there are platforms around where a
signal won't cause send() to return EINTR.... and I'd be entirely
unsurprised if SSL_write() doesn't necessarily return EINTR in that
case. I'm not sure what, if anything, we can do about that.

2. I think it would be reasonable to try to kill off the connection
without notifying the client if we're unable to send the data to the
client in a reasonable period of time. But I'm unsure what "a
reasonable period of time" means. This patch would basically do it
after no delay at all, which seems like it might be too aggressive.
However, I'm not sure.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Hello, The replies follow are mainly as a memo for myself so
please don't be bothered to answer until the time comes.

At Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:27:47 -0400, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in <CA+TgmoZfcGzAEmtbyoCe6VdHnq085x+ox752zuJ2AKN=Wc8PnQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
> You should probably add your patch here, so it doesn't get forgotten about:
>
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open

Ok, I'll put this there.

> We're focused on reviewing patches for the current CommitFest, so your
> patch might not get attention right away. A couple of general
> thoughts on this topic:

Thank you for suggestions. I'll consider on them.

> 1. I think it's the case that there are platforms around where a
> signal won't cause send() to return EINTR.... and I'd be entirely
> unsurprised if SSL_write() doesn't necessarily return EINTR in that
> case. I'm not sure what, if anything, we can do about that.

man 2 send on FreeBSD has not description about EINTR.. And even
on linux, send won't return EINTR for most cases, at least I
haven't seen that. So send()=-1,EINTR seems to me as only an
equivalent of send() = 0. I have no idea about what the
implementer thought the difference is.

> 2. I think it would be reasonable to try to kill off the connection
> without notifying the client if we're unable to send the data to the
> client in a reasonable period of time. But I'm unsure what "a
> reasonable period of time" means. This patch would basically do it
> after no delay at all, which seems like it might be too aggressive.
> However, I'm not sure.

I think there's no such a reasonable time. The behavior might
should be determined from another point.. On alternative would be
let pg_terminate_backend() have a parameter instructing force
shutodwn (how to propagate it?), or make a forced shutdown on
duplicate invocation of pg_terminate_backend().

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:26 PM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
<horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>> 2. I think it would be reasonable to try to kill off the connection
>> without notifying the client if we're unable to send the data to the
>> client in a reasonable period of time. But I'm unsure what "a
>> reasonable period of time" means. This patch would basically do it
>> after no delay at all, which seems like it might be too aggressive.
>> However, I'm not sure.
>
> I think there's no such a reasonable time. The behavior might
> should be determined from another point.. On alternative would be
> let pg_terminate_backend() have a parameter instructing force
> shutodwn (how to propagate it?), or make a forced shutdown on
> duplicate invocation of pg_terminate_backend().

Well, I think that when people call pg_terminate_backend() just once,
they expect it to kill the target backend. I think people will
tolerate a short delay, like a few seconds; after all, there's no
guarantee, even today, that the backend will hit a
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() in less than a few hundred milliseconds. But
they are not going to want to have to take a second action to kill the
backend - killing it once should be sufficient.

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 12:26:43PM +0900, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> > 1. I think it's the case that there are platforms around where a
> > signal won't cause send() to return EINTR.... and I'd be entirely
> > unsurprised if SSL_write() doesn't necessarily return EINTR in that
> > case. I'm not sure what, if anything, we can do about that.
>
> man 2 send on FreeBSD has not description about EINTR.. And even
> on linux, send won't return EINTR for most cases, at least I
> haven't seen that. So send()=-1,EINTR seems to me as only an
> equivalent of send() = 0. I have no idea about what the
> implementer thought the difference is.

Whether send() returns EINTR or not depends on whether the signal has
been marked restartable or not. This is configurable per signal, see
sigaction(). If the signal is marked to restart, the kernel returns
ERESTARTHAND (IIRC) and the libc will redo the call internally.

Default BSD does not return EINTR normally, but supports sigaction().

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

At Tue, 1 Jul 2014 21:21:38 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> wrote in <20140701192138(dot)GB20140(at)svana(dot)org>
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 12:26:43PM +0900, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> > > 1. I think it's the case that there are platforms around where a
> > > signal won't cause send() to return EINTR.... and I'd be entirely
> > > unsurprised if SSL_write() doesn't necessarily return EINTR in that
> > > case. I'm not sure what, if anything, we can do about that.
> >
> > man 2 send on FreeBSD has not description about EINTR.. And even
> > on linux, send won't return EINTR for most cases, at least I
> > haven't seen that. So send()=-1,EINTR seems to me as only an
> > equivalent of send() = 0. I have no idea about what the
> > implementer thought the difference is.
>
> Whether send() returns EINTR or not depends on whether the signal has
> been marked restartable or not. This is configurable per signal, see
> sigaction(). If the signal is marked to restart, the kernel returns
> ERESTARTHAND (IIRC) and the libc will redo the call internally.

Wow, thank you for detailed information. I'll study that and take
it into future discussion.

> Default BSD does not return EINTR normally, but supports sigaction().

I guess it is for easiness-to-keep-compatibility, seems
reasonable.

have a nice day,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Hello, thank you for keeping this discussion moving.

> > I think there's no such a reasonable time. The behavior might
> > should be determined from another point.. On alternative would be
> > let pg_terminate_backend() have a parameter instructing force
> > shutodwn (how to propagate it?), or make a forced shutdown on
> > duplicate invocation of pg_terminate_backend().
>
> Well, I think that when people call pg_terminate_backend() just once,
> they expect it to kill the target backend. I think people will
> tolerate a short delay, like a few seconds; after all, there's no
> guarantee, even today, that the backend will hit a
> CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() in less than a few hundred milliseconds.

Sure.

> But they are not going to want to have to take a second action
> to kill the backend - killing it once should be sufficient.

Hmm, it sounds persuasive. Well, do you think they tolerate
-force option? (Even though its technical practicality is not
clear)

regards,

On 07/01/2014 06:26 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> At Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:27:47 -0400, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in <CA+TgmoZfcGzAEmtbyoCe6VdHnq085x+ox752zuJ2AKN=Wc8PnQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
>> 1. I think it's the case that there are platforms around where a
>> signal won't cause send() to return EINTR.... and I'd be entirely
>> unsurprised if SSL_write() doesn't necessarily return EINTR in that
>> case. I'm not sure what, if anything, we can do about that.

We use a custom "write" routine with SSL_write, where we call send()
ourselves, so that's not a problem as long as we put the check in the
right place (in secure_raw_write(), after my recent SSL refactoring -
the patch needs to be rebased).

> man 2 send on FreeBSD has not description about EINTR.. And even
> on linux, send won't return EINTR for most cases, at least I
> haven't seen that. So send()=-1,EINTR seems to me as only an
> equivalent of send() = 0. I have no idea about what the
> implementer thought the difference is.

As the patch stands, there's a race condition: if the SIGTERM arrives
*before* the send() call, the send() won't return EINTR anyway. So
there's a chance that you still block. Calling pq_terminate_backend()
again will dislodge it (assuming send() returns with EINTR on signal),
but I don't think we want to define the behavior as "usually,
pq_terminate_backend() will kill a backend that's blocked on sending to
the client, but sometimes you have to call it twice (or more!) to really
kill it".

A more robust way is to set ImmediateInterruptOK before calling send().
That wouldn't let you send data that can be sent without blocking
though. For that, you could put the socket to non-blocking mode, and
sleep with select(), also waiting for the process' latch at the same
time (die() sets the latch, so that will wake up the select() if a
termination request arrives).

Is it actually safe to process the die-interrupt where send() is called?
ProcessInterrupts() does "ereport(FATAL, ...)", which will attempt to
send a message to the client. If that happens in the middle of
constructing some other message, that will violate the protocol.

>> 2. I think it would be reasonable to try to kill off the connection
>> without notifying the client if we're unable to send the data to the
>> client in a reasonable period of time. But I'm unsure what "a
>> reasonable period of time" means. This patch would basically do it
>> after no delay at all, which seems like it might be too aggressive.
>> However, I'm not sure.
>
> I think there's no such a reasonable time.

I agree it's pretty hard to define any reasonable timeout here. I think
it would be fine to just cut the connection; even if you don't block
while sending, you'll probably reach a CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPT() somewhere
higher in the stack and kill the connection almost as abruptly anyway.
(you can't violate the protocol, however)

- Heikki

> On 07/01/2014 06:26 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> > At Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:27:47 -0400, Robert Haas
> > <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> > <CA+TgmoZfcGzAEmtbyoCe6VdHnq085x+ox752zuJ2AKN=Wc8PnQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
> >> 1. I think it's the case that there are platforms around where a
> >> signal won't cause send() to return EINTR.... and I'd be entirely
> >> unsurprised if SSL_write() doesn't necessarily return EINTR in that
> >> case. I'm not sure what, if anything, we can do about that.
>
> We use a custom "write" routine with SSL_write, where we call send()
> ourselves, so that's not a problem as long as we put the check in the
> right place (in secure_raw_write(), after my recent SSL refactoring -
> the patch needs to be rebased).
>
> > man 2 send on FreeBSD has not description about EINTR.. And even
> > on linux, send won't return EINTR for most cases, at least I
> > haven't seen that. So send()=-1,EINTR seems to me as only an
> > equivalent of send() = 0. I have no idea about what the
> > implementer thought the difference is.
>
> As the patch stands, there's a race condition: if the SIGTERM arrives
> *before* the send() call, the send() won't return EINTR anyway. So
> there's a chance that you still block. Calling pq_terminate_backend()
> again will dislodge it (assuming send() returns with EINTR on signal),

Yes, that window would'nt be extinguished without introducing
something more. EINTR is set only when nothing sent by the
call. So AFAIS the chance of getting EINTR is far small than
expectation.

> but I don't think we want to define the behavior as "usually,
> pq_terminate_backend() will kill a backend that's blocked on sending
> to the client, but sometimes you have to call it twice (or more!) to
> really kill it".

I agree that it is desirable behavior, if any measure to avoid
that. But I think it's better than doing kill -9 engulfing all
innocent backends.

> A more robust way is to set ImmediateInterruptOK before calling
> send(). That wouldn't let you send data that can be sent without
> blocking though. For that, you could put the socket to non-blocking
> mode, and sleep with select(), also waiting for the process' latch at
> the same time (die() sets the latch, so that will wake up the select()
> if a termination request arrives).

I condiered it but select() frequently (rather in most cases when
send() blocks by send buffer exhaustion) fails to predict that
following send() will be blocked. (If my memory is correct.) So
the final problem would be blocked send()...

> Is it actually safe to process the die-interrupt where send() is
> called? ProcessInterrupts() does "ereport(FATAL, ...)", which will
> attempt to send a message to the client. If that happens in the middle
> of constructing some other message, that will violate the protocol.

So I strongly agree to you if select() works as the impression
when reading the man document.

> >> 2. I think it would be reasonable to try to kill off the connection
> >> without notifying the client if we're unable to send the data to the
> >> client in a reasonable period of time. But I'm unsure what "a
> >> reasonable period of time" means. This patch would basically do it
> >> after no delay at all, which seems like it might be too aggressive.
> >> However, I'm not sure.
> >
> > I think there's no such a reasonable time.
>
> I agree it's pretty hard to define any reasonable timeout here. I
> think it would be fine to just cut the connection; even if you don't
> block while sending, you'll probably reach a CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPT()
> somewhere higher in the stack and kill the connection almost as
> abruptly anyway. (you can't violate the protocol, however)

Yes, closing the blocked connection seems one of the most smarter
way, checking the occurred interrupt could avoid protocol
violation. But the problem for that is that there seems no means
to close sockets elsewhere the blocking handle. dup(2)'ed handle
cannot release the resource by only itself.

regards,

On 08/26/2014 09:17 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
>> but I don't think we want to define the behavior as "usually,
>> pq_terminate_backend() will kill a backend that's blocked on sending
>> to the client, but sometimes you have to call it twice (or more!) to
>> really kill it".
>
> I agree that it is desirable behavior, if any measure to avoid
> that. But I think it's better than doing kill -9 engulfing all
> innocent backends.
>
>> A more robust way is to set ImmediateInterruptOK before calling
>> send(). That wouldn't let you send data that can be sent without
>> blocking though. For that, you could put the socket to non-blocking
>> mode, and sleep with select(), also waiting for the process' latch at
>> the same time (die() sets the latch, so that will wake up the select()
>> if a termination request arrives).
>
> I condiered it but select() frequently (rather in most cases when
> send() blocks by send buffer exhaustion) fails to predict that
> following send() will be blocked. (If my memory is correct.) So
> the final problem would be blocked send()...

My point was to put the socket in non-blocking mode, so that send() will
return immediately with EAGAIN instead of blocking, if the send buffer
is full. See WalSndWriteData for how that would work, it does something
similar.

>> Is it actually safe to process the die-interrupt where send() is
>> called? ProcessInterrupts() does "ereport(FATAL, ...)", which will
>> attempt to send a message to the client. If that happens in the middle
>> of constructing some other message, that will violate the protocol.
>
> So I strongly agree to you if select() works as the impression
> when reading the man document.

Not sure what you mean, but the above is a fatal problem with the patch
right now, regardless of how you do the sleeping.

>>> I think there's no such a reasonable time.
>>
>> I agree it's pretty hard to define any reasonable timeout here. I
>> think it would be fine to just cut the connection; even if you don't
>> block while sending, you'll probably reach a CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPT()
>> somewhere higher in the stack and kill the connection almost as
>> abruptly anyway. (you can't violate the protocol, however)
>
> Yes, closing the blocked connection seems one of the most smarter
> way, checking the occurred interrupt could avoid protocol
> violation. But the problem for that is that there seems no means
> to close sockets elsewhere the blocking handle. dup(2)'ed handle
> cannot release the resource by only itself.

I didn't understand that, surely you can just close() the socket? There
is no dup(2) involved. And we don't necessarily need to close the
socket, we just need to avoid writing to it when we're already in the
middle of sending a message.

I'm marking this as Waiting on Author in the commitfest app, because:
1. the protocol violation needs to be avoided one way or another, and
2. the behavior needs to be consistent so that a single
pg_terminate_backend() is enough to always kill the connection.

- Heikki

> > I condiered it but select() frequently (rather in most cases when
> > send() blocks by send buffer exhaustion) fails to predict that
> > following send() will be blocked. (If my memory is correct.) So
> > the final problem would be blocked send()...
>
> My point was to put the socket in non-blocking mode, so that send()
> will return immediately with EAGAIN instead of blocking, if the send
> buffer is full. See WalSndWriteData for how that would work, it does
> something similar.

I confused it with what I did during writing this patch. select()
- blocking send(). Sorry for confusing the discussion. I
understand correctly what you mean and It sounds reasonable.

> >> I agree it's pretty hard to define any reasonable timeout here. I
> >> think it would be fine to just cut the connection; even if you don't
> >> block while sending, you'll probably reach a CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPT()
> >> somewhere higher in the stack and kill the connection almost as
> >> abruptly anyway. (you can't violate the protocol, however)
> >
> > Yes, closing the blocked connection seems one of the most smarter
> > way, checking the occurred interrupt could avoid protocol
> > violation. But the problem for that is that there seems no means
> > to close sockets elsewhere the blocking handle. dup(2)'ed handle
> > cannot release the resource by only itself.
>
> I didn't understand that, surely you can just close() the socket?
> There is no dup(2) involved. And we don't necessarily need to close
> the socket, we just need to avoid writing to it when we're already in
> the middle of sending a message.

My assumption there was select() and *blocking* send(). So the
sentence cited is out of point from the first.

> I'm marking this as Waiting on Author in the commitfest app, because:
> 1. the protocol violation needs to be avoided one way or another, and
> 2. the behavior needs to be consistent so that a single
> pg_terminate_backend() is enough to always kill the connection.

Thank you for the suggestion. I think I can go forward with that
and will come up with new patch.

regards,