empty backup_label

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: empty backup_label
Date: 2012-06-24 21:33:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Howdy,

We're using NetApp's flexclone's whenever we need to move our DB between machines.

One specific case where we do that is when we're creating a new streaming replication target.

The basic steps we're using are:
pg_start_backup();
<flex clone within the netapp>
pg_stop_backup();

The problem i'm seeing is that periodically the backup_label is empty, which means
I can't start the new standby.

I believe that since the NetApp stuff is all happening within the SAN this file hasn't been
fsynced to disk by the time we take the snapshot.

One option would be to do a "sync" prior to the clone, however that seems kind of like a
heavy operation, and it's slightly more complicated to script. (having to have a user
account on the system to sudo rather than just connecting to the db to issue the
pg_start_backup(...) )

Another option is to add pg_fsync(fileno(fp)) after the fflush() when creating the file (I'm not
sure if fsync implies fflush or not, if it does you could just replace it.)

I think this type of snapshot is fairly common, I've been doing them since 2000 with EMC,
i'm sure that most SAN vendors support it.

I also suspect that this type of problem could show up on AWS if you tried to use their EBS snapshots

Attached is a patch for the suggested change.

Dave

Attachment Content-Type Size
fsync-backup_label.patch text/x-diff 422 bytes

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM, David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> We're using NetApp's flexclone's whenever we need to move our DB between machines.
>
> One specific case where we do that is when we're creating a new streaming replication target.
>
> The basic steps we're using are:
> pg_start_backup();
> <flex clone within the netapp>
> pg_stop_backup();
>
> The problem i'm seeing is that periodically the backup_label is empty, which means
> I can't start the new standby.
>
> I believe that since the NetApp stuff is all happening within the SAN this file hasn't been
> fsynced to disk by the time we take the snapshot.
>
> One option would be to do a "sync" prior to the clone, however that seems kind of like a
> heavy operation, and it's slightly more complicated to script. (having to have a user
> account on the system to sudo rather than just connecting to the db to issue the
> pg_start_backup(...) )
>
> Another option is to add pg_fsync(fileno(fp)) after the fflush() when creating the file (I'm not
> sure if fsync implies fflush or not, if it does you could just replace it.)
>
> I think this type of snapshot is fairly common, I've been doing them since 2000 with EMC,
> i'm sure that most SAN vendors support it.

These seems like a good idea to me. Actually, I'm wondering if we
shouldn't back-patch this.

Thoughts?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM, David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net> wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> We're using NetApp's flexclone's whenever we need to move our DB between machines.
>>
>> One specific case where we do that is when we're creating a new streaming replication target.
>>
>> The basic steps we're using are:
>> pg_start_backup();
>> <flex clone within the netapp>
>> pg_stop_backup();
>>
>> The problem i'm seeing is that periodically the backup_label is empty, which means
>> I can't start the new standby.
>>
>> I believe that since the NetApp stuff is all happening within the SAN this file hasn't been
>> fsynced to disk by the time we take the snapshot.
>>
>> One option would be to do a "sync" prior to the clone, however that seems kind of like a
>> heavy operation, and it's slightly more complicated to script. (having to have a user
>> account on the system to sudo rather than just connecting to the db to issue the
>> pg_start_backup(...) )
>>
>> Another option is to add pg_fsync(fileno(fp)) after the fflush() when creating the file (I'm not
>> sure if fsync implies fflush or not, if it does you could just replace it.)
>>
>> I think this type of snapshot is fairly common, I've been doing them since 2000 with EMC,
>> i'm sure that most SAN vendors support it.
>
> These seems like a good idea to me.  Actually, I'm wondering if we
> shouldn't back-patch this.
>
> Thoughts?

Certainly can't hurt.

I guess any other files that are lost this way will be recreated by
WAL recovery - or is there something else tha tmight be of risk of
similar treatment?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

- >> We're using NetApp's flexclone's whenever we need to move our DB between machines.
- >>
[...]
- >
- > These seems like a good idea to me.  Actually, I'm wondering if we
- > shouldn't back-patch this.
- >
- > Thoughts?
-
- Certainly can't hurt.
-
- I guess any other files that are lost this way will be recreated by
- WAL recovery - or is there something else tha tmight be of risk of
- similar treatment?

The only other file I've run into is pgstats.stat, which I think is ok to get blown away.
There certianly could be others though.

Dave

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM, David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net> wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> We're using NetApp's flexclone's whenever we need to move our DB between machines.
>>>
>>> One specific case where we do that is when we're creating a new streaming replication target.
>>>
>>> The basic steps we're using are:
>>> pg_start_backup();
>>> <flex clone within the netapp>
>>> pg_stop_backup();
>>>
>>> The problem i'm seeing is that periodically the backup_label is empty, which means
>>> I can't start the new standby.
>>>
>>> I believe that since the NetApp stuff is all happening within the SAN this file hasn't been
>>> fsynced to disk by the time we take the snapshot.
>>>
>>> One option would be to do a "sync" prior to the clone, however that seems kind of like a
>>> heavy operation, and it's slightly more complicated to script. (having to have a user
>>> account on the system to sudo rather than just connecting to the db to issue the
>>> pg_start_backup(...) )
>>>
>>> Another option is to add pg_fsync(fileno(fp)) after the fflush() when creating the file (I'm not
>>> sure if fsync implies fflush or not, if it does you could just replace it.)
>>>
>>> I think this type of snapshot is fairly common, I've been doing them since 2000 with EMC,
>>> i'm sure that most SAN vendors support it.
>>
>> These seems like a good idea to me.  Actually, I'm wondering if we
>> shouldn't back-patch this.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Certainly can't hurt.
>
> I guess any other files that are lost this way will be recreated by
> WAL recovery - or is there something else tha tmight be of risk of
> similar treatment?

I can't think of anything. pg_start_backup does a checkpoint, which
in theory oughta be enough to make sure everything that matters hits
the platter.