Re: remove dead ports?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: remove dead ports?
Date: 2012-04-24 18:29:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I propose that we remove support for the following OS ports from our
source tree. They are totally dead, definitely don't work, and/or
probably no one remembers what they even were. The code just bit rots
and is in the way of future improvements.

* Dead/remove:

dgux
nextstep
sunos4
svr4
ultrix4
univel

* Dubious, but keep for now:

bsdi
irix
osf
sco

* No concern:

aix
cygwin
darwin
freebsd
hpux
linux
netbsd
openbsd
solaris
unixware
win32

> I propose that we remove support for the following OS ports from our
> source tree. They are totally dead, definitely don't work, and/or
> probably no one remembers what they even were. The code just bit rots
> and is in the way of future improvements.
>
> * Dead/remove:
>
> dgux
> nextstep
> sunos4
> svr4
> ultrix4
> univel

+1

> * Dubious, but keep for now:
>
> bsdi
> irix
> osf
> sco

I'm pretty sure I have seen at least semi recent reports of users on at
least irix and sco, for the rest of them I think bruce recently stopped
using bsdi so the only ever known user of that platform is gone...

Stefan