Re: Patch to allow users to kill their own queries

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Edward Muller <edward(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Department Of Data <dod(at)heroku(dot)com>
Subject: Patch to allow users to kill their own queries
Date: 2011-11-16 19:38:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Looking for comments ...

https://gist.github.com/be937d3a7a5323c73b6e

We'd like to get this, or something like it, into 9.2

PS Subscribing to psql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org just spins for me.

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Edward Muller" <edward(at)heroku(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Department Of Data" <dod(at)heroku(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Patch to allow users to kill their own queries
Date: 2011-11-16 20:06:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Edward Muller <edward(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:

> Looking for comments ...
>
> https://gist.github.com/be937d3a7a5323c73b6e
>
> We'd like to get this, or something like it, into 9.2

If you want it to be seriously considered, you should post the patch
to this list, which makes it part of the permanent archives and
indicates your willingness to place the code under the PostgreSQL
license.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch#Patch_submission

Unfortunately, you're a day late in terms of getting it reviewed in
the just-started CommitFest, but another will start in two months.

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open

Of course, you're free to talk about it until then, and perhaps
someone will take a look at it before the next CF; but a lot of
attention will be focused on the patches submitted by the start of
the current CF.

Any chance you could help review patches in the CF in progress, to
help get others' time freed up sooner?:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/inprogress

It's a good way to become familiar with the process, so that you can
better move your own patch along.

-Kevin

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Kevin Grittner
> Edward Muller <edward(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Looking for comments ...
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/be937d3a7a5323c73b6e
>>
>> We'd like to get this, or something like it, into 9.2
>
> If you want it to be seriously considered, you should post the patch
> to this list, which makes it part of the permanent archives and
> indicates your willingness to place the code under the PostgreSQL
> license.

inline ....

> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch#Patch_submission

I think this was done right.

[snip]

> Any chance you could help review patches in the CF in progress, to
> help get others' time freed up sooner?:
>
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/inprogress

Well, I'm totally new to the code base, I don't write in *C* very
often (probably obvious from my patch). Maybe over time....

> It's a good way to become familiar with the process, so that you can
> better move your own patch along.
>
> -Kevin

Attachment Content-Type Size
user_signal.patch application/octet-stream 1.9 KB

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Kevin Grittner
> Edward Muller <edward(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Looking for comments ...
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/be937d3a7a5323c73b6e
>>
>> We'd like to get this, or something like it, into 9.2

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Kevin Grittner
> Edward Muller <edward(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Looking for comments ...
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/be937d3a7a5323c73b6e
>>
>> We'd like to get this, or something like it, into 9.2

As it would turn out, a patch for this has already been submitted:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-10/msg00001.php

There was some wrangling on whether it needs to be extended to be
useful, but for our purposes the formulation already posted already
captures vital value for us, and in that form appears to be fairly
uncontentious. I have moved it to the current commitfest, with a
comment linking to the 'please revive this patch' thread whereby a
second glance at what to do about this was conducted. The link
follows:

> If you want it to be seriously considered, you should post the patch
> to this list, which makes it part of the permanent archives and
> indicates your willingness to place the code under the PostgreSQL
> license.

Although technical mailing lists are not primarily a place of
reflection and sensitivity, I do think that wording addressed to a new
participant could have been kinder. Perhaps, "Unfortunately we cannot
accept or even read your patch because of licensing concerns, would
you please follow the following patch submission guidelines?" <link>.

--
fdr