tab stop in README

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: yamt(at)mwd(dot)biglobe(dot)ne(dot)jp (YAMAMOTO Takashi)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: tab stop in README
Date: 2011-08-22 04:09:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

hi,

i know that postgresql uses ts=4 for C source code.
but how about documatation?

src/backend/access/transam/README seems to have both of
ts=4 and ts=8 mixed.

YAMAMOTO Takashi

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt(at)mwd(dot)biglobe(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tab stop in README
Date: 2011-08-27 20:09:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On mån, 2011-08-22 at 04:09 +0000, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> i know that postgresql uses ts=4 for C source code.
> but how about documatation?

I'd say ideally don't use any tabs at all.

> src/backend/access/transam/README seems to have both of
> ts=4 and ts=8 mixed.

It appears to be geared for ts=4. Could you send a patch or other
indication for what you think needs changing?

> On men, 2011-08-22 at 04:09 +0000, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
>> i know that postgresql uses ts=4 for C source code.
>> but how about documatation?
>
> I'd say ideally don't use any tabs at all.

i agree.

>> src/backend/access/transam/README seems to have both of
>> ts=4 and ts=8 mixed.
>
> It appears to be geared for ts=4. Could you send a patch or other
> indication for what you think needs changing?

attached.

YAMAMOTO Takashi

> --

ts4.diff text/plain 1.4 KB

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM, YAMAMOTO Takashi
<yamt(at)mwd(dot)biglobe(dot)ne(dot)jp> wrote:
>> On men, 2011-08-22 at 04:09 +0000, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
>>> i know that postgresql uses ts=4 for C source code.
>>> but how about documatation?
>>
>> I'd say ideally don't use any tabs at all.
>
> i agree.
>
>> It appears to be geared for ts=4.  Could you send a patch or other
>> indication for what you think needs changing?
>
> attached.

I'm confused by this patch, because it doesn't seem to get rid of all
the tabs in the file. Nor does it seem to replace tabs with spaces.
It looks like it's just randomly removing and adding tabs in various
places.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM, YAMAMOTO Takashi
> <yamt(at)mwd(dot)biglobe(dot)ne(dot)jp> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd say ideally don't use any tabs at all.
>>
>> i agree.
>>
>>> It appears to be geared for ts=4. Could you send a patch or other
>>> indication for what you think needs changing?
>>
>> attached.
>
> I'm confused by this patch, because it doesn't seem to get rid of all
> the tabs in the file. Nor does it seem to replace tabs with spaces.
> It looks like it's just randomly removing and adding tabs in various
> places.

the patch just fixes indent for ts=4, keep using tabs.

should i run "expand -t4" and send the result?

YAMAMOTO Takashi

> --
> Robert Haas
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 8:44 PM, YAMAMOTO Takashi
<yamt(at)mwd(dot)biglobe(dot)ne(dot)jp> wrote:

>>> i agree.

>>> attached.
>>
>> I'm confused by this patch, because it doesn't seem to get rid of all
>> the tabs in the file.  Nor does it seem to replace tabs with spaces.
>> It looks like it's just randomly removing and adding tabs in various
>> places.
>
> the patch just fixes indent for ts=4, keep using tabs.

I've applied what I believe to be an appropriate fix. I expanded the
tabs in the ASCII art but left the code examples alone.