BUG #5986: pg_dump output is not ordered

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: "Daniel Migowski" <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5986: pg_dump output is not ordered
Date: 2011-04-19 12:52:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5986
Logged by: Daniel Migowski
Email address: dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.14
Operating system: Many
Details:

Hi,

I would love to give pg_dump an option to produce ordered output. This would
make it much easier to create dump files that are comparable with a textual
diff tools.

The following orderings are required:

* Dump objects ordered by name. I know this cannot be done with all objects,
but at least remain a reproducable, deterministic order.

Also nice would be:

* Dump data ordered by primary key, or if not available, dump data ordered
by all columns.

In addition it would be nice to have an option to omit oid comments, because
oids are usually not used in databases.

Thank you very much.