Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: remove tags.

Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-docspgsql-hackers
From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: remove tags.
Date: 2011-02-06 23:44:46
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

remove tags.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=ad762426333aac5bd8e1ceac753bebe4a6411c28

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/advanced.sgml | 2 +-
doc/src/sgml/array.sgml | 2 +-
doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml | 4 ++--
doc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml | 5 ++---
doc/src/sgml/client-auth.sgml | 8 ++++----
doc/src/sgml/config.sgml | 7 +++----
doc/src/sgml/func.sgml | 4 ++--
doc/src/sgml/high-availability.sgml | 2 +-
doc/src/sgml/libpq.sgml | 2 +-
doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml | 4 ++--
doc/src/sgml/spi.sgml | 2 +-
doc/src/sgml/tsearch2.sgml | 2 +-

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: remove tags.
Date: 2011-02-06 23:48:51
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> remove tags.

Sorry, vague commit message (I forgot squash).

Can I will use git ammend to improve this message?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2011-02-07 04:12:25
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> remove tags.

> Sorry, vague commit message (I forgot squash).

> Can I will use git ammend to improve this message?

How about git revert, instead? It's not apparent to me that these
changes were improvements.

regards, tom lane

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> remove tags.
>
>> Sorry, vague commit message (I forgot squash).
>
>> Can I will use git ammend to improve this message?

Absolutely not.

> How about git revert, instead?  It's not apparent to me that these
> changes were improvements.

I'll buy that one.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
> >
> >> Sorry, vague commit message (I forgot squash).
> >
> >> Can I will use git ammend to improve this message?
>
> Absolutely not.
>
> > How about git revert, instead? ?It's not apparent to me that these
> > changes were improvements.
>
> I'll buy that one.

[ CC to docs, committers removed. ]

Well, if we want to revert, then we have to add <literal> to all the
numbers used in our docs --- there was no logic in what we previously
had. Do we want that?

Here is an example line I did not change:

an otherwise idle connection. A value of 0 uses the system default.

Do we want that 0 to appear in a fixed-width font via <literal>?
It is easy to do but we should decide.

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:

>> Absolutely not.
>>
>> > How about git revert, instead? ?It's not apparent to me that these
>> > changes were improvements.
>>
>> I'll buy that one.
>
> [  CC to docs, committers removed. ]
>
> Well, if we want to revert, then we have to add <literal> to all the
> numbers used in our docs --- there was no logic in what we previously
> had.  Do we want that?
>
> Here is an example line I did not change:
>
>   an otherwise idle connection.  A value of 0 uses the system default.
>
> Do we want that 0 to appear in a fixed-width font via <literal>?
> It is easy to do but we should decide.

[ removing -hackers from CC also, no need to cross-post ]

Hmm. I'm starting to lean toward leaving this as you have it.

Which way did we more commonly do it before you applied this patch?