Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: no universally correct setting for fsync
Date: 2010-05-07 13:47:15
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Someone just posted to the -admin list with a database corrupted
while running with fsync=off. I was all set to refer him to the
documentation explaining why he should stop doing this, but to my
surprise the documentation waffles on the issue way past what I
think is reasonable.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-FSYNC

There are dire-sounding statements interspersed with:

| using fsync results in a performance penalty

| Due to the risks involved, there is no universally correct setting
| for fsync.

| If you trust your operating system, your hardware, and your
| utility company (or your battery backup), you can consider
| disabling fsync.

Isn't this a little too rosy a picture to paint?

-Kevin

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Kevin Grittner
> Someone just posted to the -admin list with a database corrupted
> while running with fsync=off.  I was all set to refer him to the
> documentation explaining why he should stop doing this, but to my
> surprise the documentation waffles on the issue way past what I
> think is reasonable.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-FSYNC
>
> There are dire-sounding statements interspersed with:
>
> | using fsync results in a performance penalty
>
> | Due to the risks involved, there is no universally correct setting
> | for fsync.
>
> | If you trust your operating system, your hardware, and your
> | utility company (or your battery backup), you can consider
> | disabling fsync.
>
> Isn't this a little too rosy a picture to paint?

I agree. I've always thought this part of the documentation made
setting fsync=off much more reasonable than I feel it to be.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 16:00, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Kevin Grittner
> <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
>> Someone just posted to the -admin list with a database corrupted
>> while running with fsync=off.  I was all set to refer him to the
>> documentation explaining why he should stop doing this, but to my
>> surprise the documentation waffles on the issue way past what I
>> think is reasonable.
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-FSYNC
>>
>> There are dire-sounding statements interspersed with:
>>
>> | using fsync results in a performance penalty
>>
>> | Due to the risks involved, there is no universally correct setting
>> | for fsync.
>>
>> | If you trust your operating system, your hardware, and your
>> | utility company (or your battery backup), you can consider
>> | disabling fsync.
>>
>> Isn't this a little too rosy a picture to paint?
>
> I agree.  I've always thought this part of the documentation made
> setting fsync=off much more reasonable than I feel it to be.

+1, definitely. fsync=off should only be done if you *really*
understand what it means, and that requires a lot more explanation
than that...

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/