Re: Postgres physical directory structure meaning

Lists: pgsql-general
From: S Arvind <arvindwill(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres physical directory structure meaning
Date: 2010-02-16 06:35:51
Lists: pgsql-general

I want to know about the meaning of various directory present in data
folder. Mostly what will the 'base' folder contains? The reason of this is
recently in the datafolder 'global' was deleted unknowingly which leads to
entire DB crash in a second. We found a tool to get the data from the base
folder as sql queries, but many table content are missing.
Pls tell what kind of data will be present in each folder, if possible sent
the doc link.

Arvind S

> I want to know about the meaning of various directory present in data folder.
> Mostly what will the 'base' folder contains? The reason of this is recently in
> the datafolder 'global' was deleted unknowingly which leads to entire DB crash
> in a second. We found a tool to get the data from the base folder as sql
> queries, but many table content are missing.
> Pls tell what kind of data will be present in each folder, if possible sent the
> doc link.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/storage.html

Read there and the sub-chapters.

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt: Heynitz: 035242/47150, D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)

> I want to know about the meaning of various directory present in data
> folder. Mostly what will the 'base' folder contains? The reason of this is
> recently in the datafolder 'global' was deleted unknowingly which leads to
> entire DB crash in a second.

"global" contains some system catalogs. Not terribly critical, but you
need to do quite some work in order to make the system work again
without them.

> > I want to know about the meaning of various directory present in data folder.
> > Mostly what will the 'base' folder contains? The reason of this is recently in
> > the datafolder 'global' was deleted unknowingly which leads to entire DB crash
> > in a second. We found a tool to get the data from the base folder as sql
> > queries, but many table content are missing.?
> > Pls tell what kind of data will be present in each folder, if possible sent the
> > doc link.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/storage.html
>
> Read there and the sub-chapters.

Yea, "base" was chosen because that makes the directory hierarchy
"/data/base", e.g. "database".

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> A. Kretschmer wrote:
> > > I want to know about the meaning of various directory present in data folder.
> > > Mostly what will the 'base' folder contains? The reason of this is recently in
> > > the datafolder 'global' was deleted unknowingly which leads to entire DB crash
> > > in a second. We found a tool to get the data from the base folder as sql
> > > queries, but many table content are missing.?
> > > Pls tell what kind of data will be present in each folder, if possible sent the
> > > doc link.
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/storage.html
> >
> > Read there and the sub-chapters.
>
> Yea, "base" was chosen because that makes the directory hierarchy
> "/data/base", e.g. "database".

;-)

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°