Re: Catastrophic changes to PostgreSQL 8.4

Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
From: Kern Sibbald <kern(at)sibbald(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "bacula-devel" <bacula-devel(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "bacula-users" <bacula-users(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Catastrophic changes to PostgreSQL 8.4
Date: 2009-12-02 13:18:52
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I am the project manager of Bacula. One of the database backends that Bacula
uses is PostgreSQL.

This email is to notify you that a change you made to setting database
character codes has created havoc with certain unfortunate Bacula users.

Bacula sets the database encoding to SQL_ASCII, because although
Bacula "supports" UTF-8 character encoding, it cannot enforce it. Certain
operating systems such as Unix, Linux and MacOS can have filenames that are
not in UTF-8 format. Since Bacula stores filenames in PostgreSQL tables, we
use SQL_ASCII.

We set SQL_ASCII by default when creating the database via the command
recommended in recent versions of PostgreSQL (e.g. 8.1), with:

CREATE DATABASE bacula ENCODING 'SQL_ASCII';

However, with PostgreSQL 8.4, the above command is ignored because the default
table copied is not template0. This means that some Bacula users who have
created PostgreSQL databases with version 8.4, typically find them created
with SQL_UTF8 format, which results in serious errors when doing backups for
certain machines.

Apparently, for PostgreSQL 8.4, one must specify:

CREATE DATABASE bacula ENCODING 'SQL_ASCII' TEMPLATE=template0;

Rather than making this incompatible modification, it would have been
advisable to make the default equivalent to the above. Of course I imagine
that there are lots of reasons why that could not be programmed as such.

I also notice the following comment in your 8.4 documentation:

"PostgreSQL will allow superusers to create databases with SQL_ASCII
encoding even when LC_CTYPE is not C or POSIX. As noted above, SQL_ASCII does
not enforce that the data stored in the database has any particular encoding,
and so this choice poses risks of locale-dependent misbehavior. Using this
combination of settings is deprecated and may someday be forbidden
altogether."

If you do eliminate SQL_ASCII at some point, it would be a real pity and
create a lot of inconvience for your users.

Regards,

Kern

Kern Sibbald <kern(at)sibbald(dot)com> writes:
> Bacula sets the database encoding to SQL_ASCII, because although
> Bacula "supports" UTF-8 character encoding, it cannot enforce it.

Okay ...

> CREATE DATABASE bacula ENCODING 'SQL_ASCII';
>
> However, with PostgreSQL 8.4, the above command is ignored because the default
> table copied is not template0.

... so copy template0. I think you probably want to force C locale
(lc_ctype/lc_collate) as well, which was not possible for an individual
database before 8.4. So on the whole I think 8.4 ought to be more
amenable to what you want than prior versions were. No, it is not
exactly the same as prior versions were, but that's the price of
progress.

> I also notice the following comment in your 8.4 documentation:

> "PostgreSQL will allow superusers to create databases with SQL_ASCII
> encoding even when LC_CTYPE is not C or POSIX. As noted above, SQL_ASCII does
> not enforce that the data stored in the database has any particular encoding,
> and so this choice poses risks of locale-dependent misbehavior. Using this
> combination of settings is deprecated and may someday be forbidden
> altogether."

> If you do eliminate SQL_ASCII at some point, it would be a real pity and
> create a lot of inconvience for your users.

You misread it. We are not talking about eliminating SQL_ASCII --- as
you say, that's useful. What is deprecated is trying to use SQL_ASCII
with a non-C locale, which is dangerous, and always has been. If you've
been putting non-UTF8 data into a database that could be running under a
UTF8-dependent locale, I'm surprised you haven't noticed problems already.

regards, tom lane

On Wednesday 02 December 2009 5:18:52 am Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am the project manager of Bacula. One of the database backends that
> Bacula uses is PostgreSQL.
>
> This email is to notify you that a change you made to setting database
> character codes has created havoc with certain unfortunate Bacula users.
>
> Bacula sets the database encoding to SQL_ASCII, because although
> Bacula "supports" UTF-8 character encoding, it cannot enforce it. Certain
> operating systems such as Unix, Linux and MacOS can have filenames that are
> not in UTF-8 format. Since Bacula stores filenames in PostgreSQL tables,
> we use SQL_ASCII.
>
> We set SQL_ASCII by default when creating the database via the command
> recommended in recent versions of PostgreSQL (e.g. 8.1), with:
>
> CREATE DATABASE bacula ENCODING 'SQL_ASCII';
>
> However, with PostgreSQL 8.4, the above command is ignored because the
> default table copied is not template0. This means that some Bacula users
> who have created PostgreSQL databases with version 8.4, typically find them
> created with SQL_UTF8 format, which results in serious errors when doing
> backups for certain machines.

When I tried the above Postgres did not ignore the command, instead it gave me
the following error and did not create the database:
CREATE DATABASE bacula ENCODING 'SQL_ASCII';
ERROR: new encoding (SQL_ASCII) is incompatible with the encoding of the
template database (UTF8)
HINT: Use the same encoding as in the template database, or use template0 as
template.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net