Re: xpath not a good replacement for xpath_string

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
To: "PostgreSQL" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: xpath not a good replacement for xpath_string
Date: 2009-07-28 19:21:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry to bring this up, I know you've been fighting about XML for a while.

Currently, I am using XML2 functionality and have tried to get the newer
XPath function to work similarly, but can't quite seem to do it.

I think the current xpath function is too limited. (The docs said to post
problems to hackers if I have an issue.)

For instance, we have a web application that uses java with an XML class
serializer/deserializer Xstream. It creates XML that looks like this:

<com.company.local.myclass>
<uuid>b5212259-a91f-4dca-a547-4fe89cf2f32c</uuid>
<email>joe(at)somedomain(dot)com</email>
</com.company.local.myclass>

My current strategy is to use xml2 as:

select xpath_string(datum, E'/com\.company\.local\.myclass/uuid) as uuid
from table;

Which produces a usable:
b5212259-a91f-4dca-a547-4fe89cf2f32c

I have been trying to use xpath
select xpath(E'/com\.company\.local\.myclass/uuid', XMLPARSE(CONTENT
datum)) as uuid from table;

Which produces an unusable:

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:21 PM, <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> wrote:
> Sorry to bring this up, I know you've been fighting about XML for a while.
>
> Currently, I am using XML2 functionality and have tried to get the newer
> XPath function to work similarly, but can't quite seem to do it.
>
> I think the current xpath function is too limited. (The docs said to post
> problems to hackers if I have an issue.)
>
> For instance, we have a web application that uses java with an XML class
> serializer/deserializer Xstream. It creates XML that looks like this:
>
> <com.company.local.myclass>
>    <uuid>b5212259-a91f-4dca-a547-4fe89cf2f32c</uuid>
>    <email>joe(at)somedomain(dot)com</email>
> </com.company.local.myclass>
>
> My current strategy is to use xml2 as:
>
> select xpath_string(datum, E'/com\.company\.local\.myclass/uuid) as uuid
> from table;
>
> Which produces a usable:
> b5212259-a91f-4dca-a547-4fe89cf2f32c
>
> I have been trying to use xpath
> select xpath(E'/com\.company\.local\.myclass/uuid', XMLPARSE(CONTENT
> datum)) as uuid from table;
>
> Which produces an unusable:
> {<uuid>b5212259-a91f-4dca-a547-4fe89cf2f32c</uuid>}

How about:

SELECT (xpath(E'/com\.company\.local\.myclass/uuid/text()',
XMLPARSE(CONTENT datum)))[1] as uuid from table;

Not as clean, but it produces the same result as xpath_string().
Combined with array_to_string() could can collapse the array instead
of just grabbing the first element (in cases other than uuid, of
course).

--
Mike Rylander
| VP, Research and Design
| phone: 1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
| email: miker(at)esilibrary(dot)com
| web: http://www.esilibrary.com

> Sorry to bring this up, I know you've been fighting about XML for a while.
>
> Currently, I am using XML2 functionality and have tried to get the newer
> XPath function to work similarly, but can't quite seem to do it.
>
> I think the current xpath function is too limited. (The docs said to post
> problems to hackers if I have an issue.)
>
> For instance, we have a web application that uses java with an XML class
> serializer/deserializer Xstream. It creates XML that looks like this:
>
> <com.company.local.myclass>
> <uuid>b5212259-a91f-4dca-a547-4fe89cf2f32c</uuid>
> <email>joe(at)somedomain(dot)com</email>
> </com.company.local.myclass>
>
> My current strategy is to use xml2 as:
>
> select xpath_string(datum, E'/com\.company\.local\.myclass/uuid) as uuid
> from table;
>
> Which produces a usable:
> b5212259-a91f-4dca-a547-4fe89cf2f32c
>
> I have been trying to use xpath
> select xpath(E'/com\.company\.local\.myclass/uuid', XMLPARSE(CONTENT
> datum)) as uuid from table;
>
> Which produces an unusable:
> {<uuid>b5212259-a91f-4dca-a547-4fe89cf2f32c</uuid>}

This is really a usage question, which doesn't belong on -hackers.
However, here is how to do what you want:

andrew=# select
(xpath($$/com.company.local.myclass/uuid/text()$$,$$<com.company.local.myclass>
<uuid>b5212259-a91f-4dca-a547-4fe89cf2f32c</uuid>
<email>joe(at)somedomain(dot)com</email>
</com.company.local.myclass>
$$::xml))[1]::text as uuid;
uuid
b5212259-a91f-4dca-a547-4fe89cf2f32c