Re: Sync 2 tables in 2 databases

Lists: pgsql-general
From: SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH <sharmi_jo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Sync 2 tables in 2 databases
Date: 2009-03-11 19:26:35
Lists: pgsql-general

--- On Wed, 3/11/09, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > Hi,
> > I have 2 postgres databases with similar structure. I
> want to keep some tables in sync in these 2 databases(They
> can be synced just once a day). Is there a way to archive
> this using function ?
> > Something like....
> >
> > Select syncTable('foo')
> >
> > where syncTable is a function that compares table
> 'foo' in db1 with table 'foo' in db2 and make
> changes(update/insert/delete) to 'foo' in db1
>
> You can either truncate it on the destination db every so
> often, then
> dump / restore the data back into it, drop it and restore
> it, write a
> simple replication script that looks for missing /
> updated rows, or
> my suggestion, set up replication with slony and be done
> with it. Of
> course, you don't mention if you need one or two way
> synchronization,
> which makes a big difference in how you choose to do
> things.

It is just 1 way synchronization... replication with slony sounds pretty good... ill try that out
Thanks

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH <sharmi_jo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Date: 2009-03-11 22:42:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:26:35PM -0700, SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH wrote:
> It is just 1 way synchronization... replication with slony sounds pretty good... ill try that out
> Thanks

There are options other than Slony, each with their pros and cons. Some
that come to mind include Bucardo[1], Londiste[2], and Golconde[3].

- Josh

[1] http://bucardo.org/
[2] http://pgfoundry.org/projects/skytools/
[3] http://code.google.com/p/golconde/