Re: pg_upgrade project status

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_upgrade project status
Date: 2009-01-27 13:44:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The current project is not in good shape. Feature freeze is coming and
nothing is committed. Currently there are three patches in the game:

1) Space reservation
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00886.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/msg02031.php

This patch is mandatory for page online conversion and MUST TO be part
of postgreSQL 8.4. if not ... then we will be at the beginning next
year.

I sent updated version today.

2) pg_upgrade.sh
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00248.php

Pg_upgrade.sh is shell script for catalog conversion. It works for
8.3->8.4 upgrade. It will be useful while we will not have better
solution. Disadvantage is that it is korn shell script. The idea is to
rewrite it in PERL which is more portable, but I'm not PERL expert and
currently there is no workable solution.

And what is deadline for it? We can delivery it later with 8.4.1, but
best time for testing is during betas and RC period.

3) preupgrade script
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg01273.php

I sent WIP version of this script, which shows how reservation space
feature will be used. This part is not important now. It will be
important for 8.4->8.5 upgrade and cannot be finished until 8.5beta.

Thats all

Zdenek

> The current project is not in good shape. Feature freeze is coming and
> nothing is committed. Currently there are three patches in the game:

[...]

> 2) pg_upgrade.sh
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00248.php
>
> Pg_upgrade.sh is shell script for catalog conversion. It works for
> 8.3->8.4 upgrade. It will be useful while we will not have better
> solution. Disadvantage is that it is korn shell script. The idea is to
> rewrite it in PERL which is more portable, but I'm not PERL expert and
> currently there is no workable solution.
>
> And what is deadline for it? We can delivery it later with 8.4.1, but
> best time for testing is during betas and RC period.

I have had a very brief look at this. Translation to perl doesn't look
difficult. I'll see what I can do during the next week or so.

cheers

andrew

>> Pg_upgrade.sh is shell script for catalog conversion. It works for
>> 8.3->8.4 upgrade. It will be useful while we will not have better
>> solution. Disadvantage is that it is korn shell script. The idea is to
>> rewrite it in PERL which is more portable, but I'm not PERL expert and
>> currently there is no workable solution.
>
> I have had a very brief look at this. Translation to perl doesn't look
> difficult. I'll see what I can do during the next week or so.

We don't require perl for any other feature, do we? Seems like a pretty
onerous requireemnt for Windows in particular. We do use perl in the
build scripts, but that's only required if you want to compile from source.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

>>> Pg_upgrade.sh is shell script for catalog conversion. It works for
>>> 8.3->8.4 upgrade. It will be useful while we will not have better
>>> solution. Disadvantage is that it is korn shell script. The idea is to
>>> rewrite it in PERL which is more portable, but I'm not PERL expert and
>>> currently there is no workable solution.
>>
>> I have had a very brief look at this. Translation to perl doesn't look
>> difficult. I'll see what I can do during the next week or so.
>
> We don't require perl for any other feature, do we? Seems like a pretty
> onerous requireemnt for Windows in particular. We do use perl in the
> build scripts, but that's only required if you want to compile from
> source.

I think it's fairly easy to install Perl on Windows actually. It
doesn't sound too onerous a requirement if you want in-place upgrade;
actually it looks a very reasonable one.

Much more reasonable than Korn shell in any case (or any shell for that
matter; I think anything is going to be more of a potentially painful
platform dependency than Perl).