Import from CSV

Lists: pgadmin-hackers
From: Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)
Subject: Import from CSV
Date: 2008-11-26 07:02:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi, all

Next, I plan to code TODO Item "- Import from CSV".
Maybe, export function is also expected by somebody.

It will take a long time, several months. Because I have to do it in
spare time. And I am unfamiliar at i18n, first attempt.

Now, there is frmExport class, it used by query tool to export data.
So, it seems better named frmImportData to distinct them, rather than
frmImport.

It should be flexible to parse more format as possible.

In future, the TODO item:
- Data Import/Export tool, for file & external database IO. Including
data transformation.
will can share some component with this.

I noticed the pgimport project (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgimport/)
had been registered in 2006. But did nothing.
We will make it available.

Quan Zongliang
quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com
CIT Japan: http://www.cit.co.jp
CIT China: http://www.citbj.com.cn

> Next, I plan to code TODO Item "- Import from CSV".
> Maybe, export function is also expected by somebody.

That's a really good idea, something I wanted to work on. Glad to see
you'll do it :)

Being able to use different formats (both for import and export) would
be great too.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> Next, I plan to code TODO Item "- Import from CSV".

Cool :-)

> Maybe, export function is also expected by somebody.

As you note, we already have that. The TODO item for importing is just
to produce a *relatively simple* companion to frmExport.

> It will take a long time, several months. Because I have to do it in
> spare time. And I am unfamiliar at i18n, first attempt.

No problem - that'll give you a year or more until the next major release.

> Now, there is frmExport class, it used by query tool to export data.
> So, it seems better named frmImportData to distinct them, rather than
> frmImport.

No, I think frmImport - as I mentioned above, this TODO is intended to
work with frmExport.

> It should be flexible to parse more format as possible.
>
> In future, the TODO item:
> - Data Import/Export tool, for file & external database IO. Including
> data transformation.
> will can share some component with this.

Well that's actually intended as a much more generic ETL tool which
would have a very different architecture (which I have also put a fair
bit of thought into FWIW - I should probably write that down
someplace!). That would be a much more complex standalone project,
though I'd be happy if you wanted to work on it.

> I noticed the pgimport project (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgimport/)
> had been registered in 2006. But did nothing.
> We will make it available.

:-)

--
Dave Page