Re: Replay attack of query cancel

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Replay attack of query cancel
Date: 2008-08-08 18:55:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It occurred to me a while ago that our query cancel messages are sent
unencrypted, even when SSL is otherwise used. That's not a big issue on
its own, because the cancellation message only contains the backend PID
and the cancellation key, but it does open us to a replay attack. After
the first query in a connection has been cancelled, an eavesdropper can
reuse the backend PID and cancellation key to cancel subsequent queries
on the same connection.

We discussed this on the security list, and the consensus was that this
isn't worth a quick fix and a security release, because
- it only affects applications that use query cancel, which is rare
- it only affects SSL encrypted connections (the point is moot
non-encrypted connections, as you can just snatch the cancel key from
the initial message)
- it only let's you cancel queries, IOW it's only a DOS attack.
- there's no simple fix.

However, it is something to keep in mind, and perhaps fix for the next
release.

One idea for fixing this is to make cancellation keys disposable, and
automatically issue a new one through the main connection when one is
used, but that's not completely trivial, and requires a change in both
the clients and the server. Another idea is to send the query cancel
message only after SSL authentication, but that is impractical for libpq
because we PQcancel needs to be callable from a signal handler.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

> One idea for fixing this is to make cancellation keys disposable, and
> automatically issue a new one through the main connection when one is
> used, but that's not completely trivial, and requires a change in both
> the clients and the server. Another idea is to send the query cancel
> message only after SSL authentication, but that is impractical for libpq
> because we PQcancel needs to be callable from a signal handler.

I wonder if we can do something diffie-hellman'ish, where we have a
parameter exchanged in the initial SSL'ed handshake, which is later used
to generate new cancel keys each time the previous one is used.

> I wonder if we can do something diffie-hellman'ish, where we have a
> parameter exchanged in the initial SSL'ed handshake, which is later used
> to generate new cancel keys each time the previous one is used.

Seems like the risk of getting out of sync would outweigh any benefits.
Lose one cancel message in the network, you have no hope of getting any
more accepted.

regards, tom lane

>> One idea for fixing this is to make cancellation keys disposable, and
>> automatically issue a new one through the main connection when one is
>> used, but that's not completely trivial, and requires a change in both
>> the clients and the server. Another idea is to send the query cancel
>> message only after SSL authentication, but that is impractical for libpq
>> because we PQcancel needs to be callable from a signal handler.
>
> I wonder if we can do something diffie-hellman'ish, where we have a
> parameter exchanged in the initial SSL'ed handshake, which is later used
> to generate new cancel keys each time the previous one is used.

Seems much more complex than needed.

IIRC, the protocol allows us (at least does not explicitly forbid) to
issue new cancel keys at any time. And libpq will, again IIRC, accept
them. So we could just change the server to issue a new cancel key
whenever it has used the previous one (since the new key will then be
sent over the encrypted channel, we're safe).

The problem was (third IIRC here :-P) in other clients, such as the JDBC
driver (I think that one was checked specifically) which currently only
accept the BackendKeyData message during startup. All drivers not based
on libpq would have to be checked and potentially updated, but it's
sitll a lot easier than DHing or so.

//Magnus