Re: Keeping creation time of objects

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers ML <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Keeping creation time of objects
Date: 2008-09-09 19:20:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

AFAICS, PostgreSQL is not keeping info about when a table, database,
sequence, etc was created. We cannot get that info even from OS, since
CLUSTER or VACUUM FULL may change the metadata of corresponding
relfilenode.

Does anyone think that adding a timestamp column to pg_class would bring
an overhead? For me, it looks a bit easy to add that value while calling
CREATE XXX, but does anyone see a corner case?

Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
http://www.gunduz.org