Re: Join question

Lists: pgsql-sql
From: "Daniel Hernandez" <breydan(at)excite(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org,erouse(at)comsquared(dot)com
Subject: Re: Join question
Date: 2008-08-18 16:30:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

have you tried a right Join?Daniel Hernndez.San Diego, CA."The more you learn, the more you earn".Fax: (808) 442-0427-----Original Message-----From: "Edward W. Rouse" [erouse(at)comsquared(dot)com]Date: 08/15/2008 09:48 AMTo: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)orgSubject: Re: [SQL] Join question I have 2 tables, both have a user column. I am currently using a left join from table a to table b because I need to show all users from table a even those not having an entry in table b. The problem is I also have to include items from table b with that have a null user. There are some other criteria as well that are simple where clause filters. So as an example:   Table a: Org|user A    | emp1 B    | emp1 B    | emp2 B    | emp3 C    | emp2   Table b: Org|user|color A   |emp1|red A   |emp1|blue A   |null|pink A   |null|orange B   |emp1|red B   |emp3|red B   |null|silver C   |emp2|avacado   If I:   select org, user, count(total) from a left join b on (a.org = b.org and a.user = b.user) where a.org = ‘A’ group by a.org, a.user order by a.org, a.user   I get:   Org|user|count A    |emp1|2 A    |emp2|0 A    |emp3|0   But what I need is:   A    |emp1|2 A    |emp2|0 A    |emp3|0 A    |null|2   Thanks, Edward W. Rouse