Re: problem with locks on head, backend crash

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "PG Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: problem with locks on head, backend crash
Date: 2008-04-07 14:36:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

when I tested ptop, I found some problems

this pgbench is very slow and when after getting table of locks from
ptop I got backend crash.

[pavel(at)prg31 ~]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pgbench -c80 -t1000 postgres
starting vacuum...end.
WARNING: you don't own a lock of type ShareLock
WARNING: you don't own a lock of type ShareLock
WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back
the current transaction and exit, because another server process
exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
repeat your command.
WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back
the current transaction and exit, because another server process
exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.

from log:

LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG: could not send data to client: Přerušena roura (SIGPIPE)
LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG: could not send data to client: Přerušena roura (SIGPIPE)
LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
WARNING: problem in alloc set MessageContext: req size > alloc size
for chunk 0x8b6d1e0 in block 0x8b6bb50
WARNING: problem in alloc set MessageContext: req size > alloc size
for chunk 0x8b6d1e0 in block 0x8b6bb50
LOG: server process (PID 29693) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault
LOG: terminating any other active server processes
WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back
the current transaction and exit, because another s
HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
repeat your command.
WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process

Regards
Pavel Stehule

> when I tested ptop, I found some problems

Which version are you running?

--
Heikki Linnakangas

On 07/04/2008, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Pavel Stehule wrote:
>
> > when I tested ptop, I found some problems
> >

> Which version are you running?
I am sorry, HEAD 8.4 today actualized

Pavel

> --
> Heikki Linnakangas

> WARNING: problem in alloc set MessageContext: req size > alloc size
> for chunk 0x8b6d1e0 in block 0x8b6bb50
> WARNING: problem in alloc set MessageContext: req size > alloc size
> for chunk 0x8b6d1e0 in block 0x8b6bb50

I suggest you make distclean and rebuild the whole thing from scratch --
I have seen these kind of problems when a loadable module is not built
the same as the backend, for example.

On 07/04/2008, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Pavel Stehule escribió:
>

> > WARNING: problem in alloc set MessageContext: req size > alloc size
> > for chunk 0x8b6d1e0 in block 0x8b6bb50
> > WARNING: problem in alloc set MessageContext: req size > alloc size
> > for chunk 0x8b6d1e0 in block 0x8b6bb50
>

> I suggest you make distclean and rebuild the whole thing from scratch --
> I have seen these kind of problems when a loadable module is not built
> the same as the backend, for example.

I did it, but maybe there was some ??? I can't to repeat it after restart

Pavel