Re: SQL Query

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Ashish Karalkar <ashish_postgre(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, ashish(dot)karalkar(at)netcore(dot)co(dot)in
Subject: SQL Query
Date: 2007-12-05 10:24:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello List member,

Iha a table containing two columns x and y . for single value of x there are multiple values in y e.g

X Y
------------
1 ABC
2 PQR
3 XYZ
4 LMN
1 LMN
2 XYZ

I want a query that will give me following output

1 ABC:LMN
2 PQR:XYZ
3 XYZ
4 LMN

Any help will be really helpful

Thanks in advance

With Regards
Ashish

---------------------------------

am Wed, dem 05.12.2007, um 10:24:04 +0000 mailte Ashish Karalkar folgendes:
> Hello List member,
>
> Iha a table containing two columns x and y . for single value of x there are
> multiple values in y e.g
>
> X Y
> ------------
> 1 ABC
> 2 PQR
> 3 XYZ
> 4 LMN
> 1 LMN
> 2 XYZ
>
> I want a query that will give me following output
>
> 1 ABC:LMN
> 2 PQR:XYZ
> 3 XYZ
> 4 LMN
>
> Any help will be really helpful

You need a new aggregate-function. A solution for a similar problem (but
with comma instead :) can you find here:
http://www.zigo.dhs.org/postgresql/#comma_aggregate

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt: Heynitz: 035242/47150, D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)

"A. Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com> wrote: am Wed, dem 05.12.2007, um 10:24:04 +0000 mailte Ashish Karalkar folgendes:
> Hello List member,
>
> Iha a table containing two columns x and y . for single value of x there are
> multiple values in y e.g
>
> X Y
> ------------
> 1 ABC
> 2 PQR
> 3 XYZ
> 4 LMN
> 1 LMN
> 2 XYZ
>
> I want a query that will give me following output
>
> 1 ABC:LMN
> 2 PQR:XYZ
> 3 XYZ
> 4 LMN
>
> Any help will be really helpful

You need a new aggregate-function. A solution for a similar problem (but
with comma instead :) can you find here:
http://www.zigo.dhs.org/postgresql/#comma_aggregate

Thanks Andreas for your replay.
But i don't have an option two send argument to the store proc nither do i know how many multiple records are there for a single X. I want result for all rows of table.

I dont thnink that function will give desired output.

any suggestions?

With Regards
Ashish

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt: Heynitz: 035242/47150, D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)
GnuPG-ID: 0x3FFF606C, privat 0x7F4584DA http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net

http://archives.postgresql.org/

---------------------------------
Save all your chat conversations. Find them online.

am Wed, dem 05.12.2007, um 10:47:44 +0000 mailte Ashish Karalkar folgendes:
> > X Y
> > ------------
> > 1 ABC
> > 2 PQR
> > 3 XYZ
> > 4 LMN
> > 1 LMN
> > 2 XYZ
> >
> > I want a query that will give me following output
> >
> > 1 ABC:LMN
> > 2 PQR:XYZ
> > 3 XYZ
> > 4 LMN
> >
> > Any help will be really helpful
>
> You need a new aggregate-function. A solution for a similar problem (but
> with comma instead :) can you find here:
> http://www.zigo.dhs.org/postgresql/#comma_aggregate
>
> Thanks Andreas for your replay.
> But i don't have an option two send argument to the store proc nither do i
> know how many multiple records are there for a single X. I want result for
> all rows of table.
>
> I dont thnink that function will give desired output.

test=# create table Ashish ( x int, y text);
CREATE TABLE
test=*# copy ashish from stdin;
Enter data to be copied followed by a newline.
End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself.
>> 1 abc
>> 2 pqr
>> 3 yxz
>> 4 lmn
>> 1 lmn
>> 2 xyz
>> \.
test=*# CREATE FUNCTION my_aggregate(text,text) RETURNS text AS ' SELECT CASE WHEN $1 <> '''' THEN $1 || '':'' || $2 ELSE $2 END; ' LANGUAGE sql IMMUTABLE STRICT;
CREATE AGGREGATE my_comma (basetype=text, sfunc=my_aggregate , stype=text, initcond='' );
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE AGGREGATE
test=*# select x, my_comma(y) from ashish group by x;
x | my_comma
4 | lmn
3 | yxz
2 | pqr:xyz
1 | abc:lmn
(4 rows)

Okay, i forgot to sort and the chars are in lower case...

Andreas