Re: who gets paid for this

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Christian Bird" <cabird(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: who gets paid for this
Date: 2007-03-08 20:10:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

I'm a grad student at UC Davis studying the postgres community and I
wanted to know if some on this list could help me out. I'm studying
the factors that affect people "graduating" from being mailing list
participant to developers with write access to the repository. Is it
possible to find out who is being employed to work on postgres and who
is doing it on their own time? Some of my data points to there being
two ways that people make the jump. More specifically, could those
who worked on apache as some aspect of their job prior to getting repo
access let me know? Or if there are devs who know this information
about others, I'd be really appreciative to get it. Thanks a lot.

-- Christian Bird

--
Christian Bird
cabird(at)gmail(dot)com

I'm a grad student at UC Davis studying the apache server community
and I wanted to know if some on this list could help me out. I'm
studying the factors that affect people "graduating" from being
mailing list participant to developers with write access to the
repository. Is it possible to find out who is being employed to work
on apache and who is doing it on their own time? Some of my data
points to there being two ways that people make the jump. More
specifically, could those who worked on postgres as some aspect of
their job prior to getting cvs access let me know? Or if there are
devs who know this information about others, I'd be really
appreciative to get it. Thanks a lot.

-- Christian Bird

--
Christian Bird
cabird(at)gmail(dot)com

--
Christian Bird
cabird(at)gmail(dot)com

> who worked on apache as some aspect of their job prior to getting repo
> access let me know? Or if there are devs who know this information
> about others, I'd be really appreciative to get it.

Hmmm. Wrong project. And I think you're making the (incorrect) assumption
that granting commit rights works the same way in all projects. It does
not.

How about you call me and we can chat about how the PostgreSQL project
actually works? 415-752-2500.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

>> who worked on apache as some aspect of their job prior to getting repo
>> access let me know? Or if there are devs who know this information
>> about others, I'd be really appreciative to get it.

> Hmmm. Wrong project. And I think you're making the (incorrect) assumption
> that granting commit rights works the same way in all projects. It does
> not.

Even more to the point, "getting paid for" has almost nothing to do
with "has commit privileges". At least on this project.

regards, tom lane