Implicit casts with generic arrays

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Implicit casts with generic arrays
Date: 2007-02-27 18:05:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've looked into cutting back on the implicit casts to text, which
exposed the following little gem.

The expressions

'abc' || 34
34 || 'abc'

would no longer work, with the following error message:

ERROR: 22P02: array value must start with "{" or dimension information

That's because the best matches are now respectively

anyarray || anyelement
anyelement || anyarray

Now either this is just too bad and users of a system with reduced casts
to text will have to live with this odd error message, or coercing any
old unknown constant to anyarray isn't such a good idea.

Comments?

--
Peter Eisentraut