Re: Recursive Queries

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Recursive Queries
Date: 2007-01-24 17:27:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm looking into recursive queries and what it would take to support them in
Postgres. Is anyone else looking at this already?

Aside from the Oracle-ish syntax were there other objections to the patch as
posted a while back for 7.3 by Evgen Potemkin?

I have some ideas myself for how to go about this but I'm going to review the
existing patch first. If anyone else has ideas I would like to hear them.

--
Gregory Stark

> I'm looking into recursive queries and what it would take to support them in
> Postgres. Is anyone else looking at this already?

Yes your co-employee Jonah.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-01/msg00989.php
Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

> I'm looking into recursive queries and what it would take to support them in
> Postgres. Is anyone else looking at this already?
>
> Aside from the Oracle-ish syntax were there other objections to the patch as
> posted a while back for 7.3 by Evgen Potemkin?
>
> I have some ideas myself for how to go about this but I'm going to review the
> existing patch first. If anyone else has ideas I would like to hear them.

My recollection is that the verdict was that it was clode to 100%
unusable - you might want to review the past discussions.

Wasn't somebody else working on this? Jonah? (Maybe you EDB guys need to
talk more ...)

cheers

andrew

> > I'm looking into recursive queries and what it would take to support them in
> > Postgres. Is anyone else looking at this already?
> >
> > Aside from the Oracle-ish syntax were there other objections to the patch as
> > posted a while back for 7.3 by Evgen Potemkin?
> >
> > I have some ideas myself for how to go about this but I'm going to review the
> > existing patch first. If anyone else has ideas I would like to hear them.
> >

> My recollection is that the verdict was that it was clode to 100%
> unusable - you might want to review the past discussions.

Yes, the old patch is unusasble. The change has to be done in a
different part of the code.

> Wasn't somebody else working on this? Jonah? (Maybe you EDB guys need to
> talk more ...)

He is taking it over for Jonah.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us