Re: 8.2 Beta3-> RC1 upgrade

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 8.2 Beta3-> RC1 upgrade
Date: 2006-11-30 12:07:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I possibly missed an e-mail in -hackers list; but for the people who
does not read this list, I was expecting an initdb warning in RC1
announcement. I got this after installing 8.2 RC1 RPMs:

FATAL: database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL: The database cluster was initialized with CATALOG_VERSION_NO
200611051, but the server was compiled with CATALOG_VERSION_NO
200611241.
HINT: It looks like you need to initdb.

Let me install the beta3 RPMs again...

> I possibly missed an e-mail in -hackers list; but for the people who
> does not read this list, I was expecting an initdb warning in RC1
> announcement. I got this after installing 8.2 RC1 RPMs:

Hmmmm ... I thought that anyone using a beta knew that they would need to
initdb between each beta release. But it doesn't hurt to remind people,
you're right ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

> Hmmmm ... I thought that anyone using a beta knew that they would need to
> initdb between each beta release. But it doesn't hurt to remind people,
> you're right ...

b1 -> b2 -> b3 didn't need an initdb... so most probably don't expect b3 ->
rc1 to need an initdb if they didn't follow discussions in hackers.

- thomas

> > I possibly missed an e-mail in -hackers list; but for the people who
> > does not read this list, I was expecting an initdb warning in RC1
> > announcement. I got this after installing 8.2 RC1 RPMs:
>
> Hmmmm ... I thought that anyone using a beta knew that they would need to
> initdb between each beta release. But it doesn't hurt to remind people,
> you're right ...

Actually, it is a sort of a unwritten and sometimes-violated policy that
we _don't_ require initdb between betas. So letting them know when we
do would be "nice".