Build of postgresql 8.2 beta 2 failure

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Carl Norden <dragon(at)wintermaze(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Build of postgresql 8.2 beta 2 failure
Date: 2006-10-27 02:13:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I know you're collecting results for beta testing, so I thought I'd pass on the error I ran into. This may have failed just because I'm running an old version of RedHat (7.1)

When I tried to build postgresql 8.2 beta 2, the compile failed with these errors:

gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -fpic -shared -Wl,-soname,libpq.so.5 -Wl,--version-script=exports.list fe-auth.o fe-connect.o fe-exec.o fe-misc.o fe-print.o fe-lobj.o fe-protocol2.o fe-protocol3.o pqexpbuffer.o pqsignal.o fe-secure.o md5.o ip.o wchar.o encnames.o noblock.o pgstrcasecmp.o thread.o strlcpy.o -L../../../src/port -lcrypt -Wl,-rpath,'/usr/local/sw/postgresql/postgresql-8.2b2/lib' -o libpq.so.5.0
/usr/bin/ld:exports.list:1: parse error in VERSION script
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libpq.so.5.0] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/src/postgresql-8.2beta2/src/interfaces/libpq'

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3

$ ld --version
GNU ld 2.10.91
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License. This program has absolutely no warranty.
Supported emulations:
elf_i386
i386linux
elf_i386_glibc21

I may try poking at it more after dinner to see if I can fix it myself, but just thougt I'd get you more results. (And thanks for all the work in making all the previous versions such a great product!)

-Carl

--
select soda from soda_machine where ingredients like '%caffine%';

> I know you're collecting results for beta testing, so I thought I'd pass on the error I ran into. This may have failed just because I'm running an old version of RedHat (7.1)
>
> When I tried to build postgresql 8.2 beta 2, the compile failed with these errors:
>
> gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -fpic -shared -Wl,-soname,libpq.so.5 -Wl,--version-script=exports.list fe-auth.o fe-connect.o fe-exec.o fe-misc.o fe-print.o fe-lobj.o fe-protocol2.o fe-protocol3.o pqexpbuffer.o pqsignal.o fe-secure.o md5.o ip.o wchar.o encnames.o noblock.o pgstrcasecmp.o thread.o strlcpy.o -L../../../src/port -lcrypt -Wl,-rpath,'/usr/local/sw/postgresql/postgresql-8.2b2/lib' -o libpq.so.5.0
> /usr/bin/ld:exports.list:1: parse error in VERSION script
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [libpq.so.5.0] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/src/postgresql-8.2beta2/src/interfaces/libpq'

I'd say you'd need a newer version of GNU binutils ... but really I'd
suggest upgrading to a newer version of RedHat.

> $ ld --version
> GNU ld 2.10.91

According to the Debian changelog, 2.10.91 was released in February
2001.

Or maybe the problem is in the VERSION script, which may have been
wrongly generated by an old version of another tool. Mine starts with

{ global:
PQconnectdb;
PQsetdbLogin;
PQconndefaults;