Re: Wordpress & PostgreSQL ...

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Wordpress & PostgreSQL ...
Date: 2006-10-21 22:58:24
Lists: pgsql-general

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wordpress & PostgreSQL ...
Date: 2006-10-22 03:07:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Does anyone know of any work being done to get wordpress ported to PostgreSQL?
> My search on the web finds emails from March of this year concerning some ppl
> more or less "looking into it", but I can't find anything that indicates
> they've done much more then talk :(

There was an experimental patch at one time. However the devs don't
really have much interest in PostgreSQL AFAICT.

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
> Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

http://www.commandprompt.com/

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-10-22 03:31:33
Lists: pgsql-general

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-10-22 04:06:35
Lists: pgsql-general

jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know of any work being done to get wordpress ported to PostgreSQL?
>> My search on the web finds emails from March of this year concerning some ppl
>> more or less "looking into it", but I can't find anything that indicates
>> they've done much more then talk :(
>
> There was an experimental patch at one time. However the devs don't
> really have much interest in PostgreSQL AFAICT.

And it seems to me that you could get a *wildly* better blog design by
making an expressly PostgreSQL-oriented design.

Consider:
a) Mapping things like Wiki-style special indicators of formatting
(e.g. - where indentation / * means something) onto some "final form"
using stored procs written in pl/[text-munging-language]

b) Managing the various sorts of objects (users, entries, links to
local entries, links to outside entries) using a stored function API
so that what's visible in the outside language (Perl CGI or whatever)
becomes fairly trivial

c) Allowing the use of intelligent data types. Self-compressing
TOAST, strongly typed URLs, strongly typed and validated email
addresses, all of that sort of thing.
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html

We are working on making the port to PostgreSQL ... may be for the end of this
month.
We have wrote to the Wordpress team ... but without any answer for the
moment ... :o(
When it'll be ready from our part, I'll inform you.

Best regards,

Le dimanche 22 octobre 2006 00:58, Marc G. Fournier a écrit :
> Does anyone know of any work being done to get wordpress ported to
> PostgreSQL? My search on the web finds emails from March of this year
> concerning some ppl more or less "looking into it", but I can't find
> anything that indicates they've done much more then talk :(
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
> Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

--
Hervé Piedvache

Elma Ingénierie Informatique