Re: plz unsubscribe me

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "rama krishna" <arkr505(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-08-30 15:09:33
Lists: pgsql-general

please unsubscribe from this
thank u

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
To: "rama krishna" <arkr505(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-08-30 15:14:30
Lists: pgsql-general

> please unsubscribe from this
> thank u

Instructions are in the mail headers of each message:

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
Cc: rama krishna <arkr505(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-08-30 16:41:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Bill Moran wrote:

>> please unsubscribe from this
>> thank u
>>

> Instructions are in the mail headers of each message:

Actually it is quite ridiculous that we expect someone to read the mail
headers.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, rama krishna <arkr505(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-08-30 16:55:27
Lists: pgsql-general

> Bill Moran wrote:
>> Instructions are in the mail headers of each message:

> Actually it is quite ridiculous that we expect someone to read the mail
> headers.

Those headers are really there for mail programs to read. On my MUA
(a several-years-old version of exmh), messages containing these headers
causes an additional menu entry to appear, with List/Unsubscribe and
some other options. I suppose there are still people using mailers that
don't know about RFC2369, but considering that that standard was
published in 1998, there's not a whole lot of excuse for that.

In any case, we also expend bandwidth on a couple of footer TIPs that
remind people how to unsubscribe. Maybe one of them should explicitly
say that mailing to the list is not the way.

regards, tom lane

> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>> Bill Moran wrote:
>>> Instructions are in the mail headers of each message:
>
>> Actually it is quite ridiculous that we expect someone to read the mail
>> headers.
>
> Those headers are really there for mail programs to read. On my MUA
> (a several-years-old version of exmh), messages containing these headers
> causes an additional menu entry to appear, with List/Unsubscribe and
> some other options. I suppose there are still people using mailers that
> don't know about RFC2369, but considering that that standard was
> published in 1998, there's not a whole lot of excuse for that.

Thunderbird, which I expect MANY of our community users are using does
nothing with those headers (as far as I can tell).

Outlook and Outlook express, which many of our community users will be
using in the future (by nature of our win32 port) to my knowledge does
nothing with those headers.

I know that Evolution has some functionality based on those headers, but
no one in their right might would use it (yes that it a blatant smack).

I also seriously doubt that Apple Mail or Mac Mail (whatever it is
called) does anything with the headers either.

> In any case, we also expend bandwidth on a couple of footer TIPs that
> remind people how to unsubscribe. Maybe one of them should explicitly
> say that mailing to the list is not the way.

Our lists (the @postgresql.org ones) are the only lists to which I
subscribe that do not put the unsubscribe info at the bottom of every
email sent to the list.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

> >> Actually it is quite ridiculous that we expect someone to read the mail
> >> headers.

I don't find it so. That's like saying it's ridiculous to expect the
average auto owner to change the oil every 3000 miles. Reading headers
isn't a terribly esoteric thing to do. I taught an "intro to email" class
back in 2000 and spent about 5 minutes explaining headers and what they
meant. The students didn't have any difficulty grasping the concept, and
I got the impression that they found the information enlightening.

> > Those headers are really there for mail programs to read. On my MUA
> > (a several-years-old version of exmh), messages containing these headers
> > causes an additional menu entry to appear, with List/Unsubscribe and
> > some other options. I suppose there are still people using mailers that
> > don't know about RFC2369, but considering that that standard was
> > published in 1998, there's not a whole lot of excuse for that.
>
> Thunderbird, which I expect MANY of our community users are using does
> nothing with those headers (as far as I can tell).

I've never been a big fan of Thunderbird.

> Outlook and Outlook express, which many of our community users will be
> using in the future (by nature of our win32 port) to my knowledge does
> nothing with those headers.

It's a shame that nobody at Microsoft is smart enough to figure it out.

The thing that really gets me is that Sylpheed doesn't use them ...

> Our lists (the @postgresql.org ones) are the only lists to which I
> subscribe that do not put the unsubscribe info at the bottom of every
> email sent to the list.

I guess that makes RFC2369 another great idea that nobody's paying attention
to ...

shame ...

--
Bill Moran