Gborg and pgfoundry

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Gborg and pgfoundry
Date: 2006-05-25 02:33:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am asking again: what is the timetable for merging gborg and
pgfoundry, and if not, can we set a date to shut down to force the move.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Gborg and pgfoundry
Date: 2006-05-25 14:36:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:33:53PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am asking again: what is the timetable for merging gborg and
> pgfoundry, and if not, can we set a date to shut down to force the
> move.

Bruce,

You know that there is a tall stack of finicky, time-consuming work in
order to make this possible. Which parts of it are you volunteering
to do?

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:33:53PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I am asking again: what is the timetable for merging gborg and
> > pgfoundry, and if not, can we set a date to shut down to force the
> > move.
>
> Bruce,
>
> You know that there is a tall stack of finicky, time-consuming work in
> order to make this possible. Which parts of it are you volunteering
> to do?

I will move my projects manually, and until we set a date, there is no
motivation for anyone to move their own projects. Someone doing this
migration is not working (for years), so let's just do it dirty.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us

>> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:33:53PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I am asking again: what is the timetable for merging gborg and
>>> pgfoundry, and if not, can we set a date to shut down to force the
>>> move.
>> Bruce,
>>
>> You know that there is a tall stack of finicky, time-consuming work in
>> order to make this possible. Which parts of it are you volunteering
>> to do?
>
> I will move my projects manually, and until we set a date, there is no
> motivation for anyone to move their own projects. Someone doing this
> migration is not working (for years), so let's just do it dirty.

I have to agree with Bruce here. Sometimes you just have to cut off a limb.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 10:11:13AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >David Fetter wrote:

> >>Bruce,
> >>
> >>You know that there is a tall stack of finicky, time-consuming
> >>work in order to make this possible. Which parts of it are you
> >>volunteering to do?
> >
> >I will move my projects manually, and until we set a date, there is
> >no motivation for anyone to move their own projects. Someone doing
> >this migration is not working (for years), so let's just do it
> >dirty.
>
> I have to agree with Bruce here. Sometimes you just have to cut off
> a limb.

It would be a great service to the community if people could
document--maybe in some kind of wiki or something--just how they did
each piece. We could also put stuff on the front of gborg, mail every
project lead, etc., etc. In other words, a concerted effort here
would have non-trivial overhead, but also non-trivial pay-off :)

Let's start with the first thing: What features map on gborg map to
which features on pgfoundry?

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> David Fetter wrote:
>> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:33:53PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I am asking again: what is the timetable for merging gborg and
>>> pgfoundry, and if not, can we set a date to shut down to force the
>>> move.
>>
>> Bruce,
>>
>> You know that there is a tall stack of finicky, time-consuming work in
>> order to make this possible. Which parts of it are you volunteering
>> to do?
>
> I will move my projects manually, and until we set a date, there is no
> motivation for anyone to move their own projects. Someone doing this
> migration is not working (for years), so let's just do it dirty.

gborg won't be shut down until Josh et al are ready with pgfoundry ...
and, right now, the 'et al' is fairly busy with stuff like OSDN and the
Anniversary which are quickly approaching ...

----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664

> I am asking again: what is the timetable for merging gborg and
> pgfoundry, and if not, can we set a date to shut down to force the move.

Looking more like mid-June. I didn't have the time for this at the
beginning of May that I thought I would have.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun