BUG #2391: "Similar to" pattern matching does not operate as documented

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: "Eric Noriega" <noriega(at)gwu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2391: "Similar to" pattern matching does not operate as documented
Date: 2006-04-12 23:49:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2391
Logged by: Eric Noriega
Email address: noriega(at)gwu(dot)edu
PostgreSQL version: 7.0.5
Operating system: Linux Fedora core 4
documented
Details:

As far as I can tell, this may be a bug in how the pattern matches.

db=# select 'tab' similar to '(a|b)';
?column?

db=# select 'tab' similar to 'a|b';
?column?

The doc says: Like LIKE, the SIMILAR TO operator succeeds only if its
pattern matches the entire string; this is unlike common regular expression
practice, wherein the pattern may match any part of the string.

If the second case is invalid as an expression (not clear in the
docs:Parentheses may be used to group items into a single logical item),
then the statement should fail, or return false, not return true.