Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?

Lists: pgsql-novice
From: <ebcorder(at)rockwellcollins(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?
Date: 2006-03-23 16:14:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi All

I started using PostgreSQL\Postgis in January. Lately I have been
reading on the internet many rumblings about PostgreSQL being slower than
MySQL/SQLLite etc etc. Comparisons made were routine inserts , updates,
and deletes. Is any of this true? If so,are there methods to speed
things up? I used the Explain Analyze command on portgesSQL it seemed
fast although I have not run any other DB's.
I know when comparison tests are performed they can be tilted on these
internet sites. But I see so many people declaring PostgreSQL to be the
slowest I am thinking where there is smoke there's fire.

Elwood Cordery
Rockwell Collins
Contract Software Engineer
319-295-8248

On Thursday 23 March 2006 11:14 am, ebcorder(at)rockwellcollins(dot)com saith:
> Hi All
>
> I started using PostgreSQL\Postgis in January. Lately I have been
> reading on the internet many rumblings about PostgreSQL being slower than
> MySQL/SQLLite etc etc. Comparisons made were routine inserts , updates,
> and deletes. Is any of this true? If so,are there methods to speed
> things up? I used the Explain Analyze command on portgesSQL it seemed
> fast although I have not run any other DB's.
> I know when comparison tests are performed they can be tilted on these
> internet sites. But I see so many people declaring PostgreSQL to be the
> slowest I am thinking where there is smoke there's fire.
>

> Elwood Cordery
> Rockwell Collins
> Contract Software Engineer
> 319-295-8248

There is a thread regarding MySql versus PostgreSQL on the general list. Take
a look at that.

> I started using PostgreSQL\Postgis in January.
> Lately I have been
> reading on the internet many rumblings about
> PostgreSQL being slower than
> MySQL/SQLLite etc etc. Comparisons made were
> routine inserts , updates,
> and deletes. Is any of this true? If so,are
> there methods to speed
> things up? I used the Explain Analyze command on
> portgesSQL it seemed
> fast although I have not run any other DB's.
> I know when comparison tests are performed they can
> be tilted on these
> internet sites. But I see so many people declaring
> PostgreSQL to be the
> slowest I am thinking where there is smoke there's
> fire.
>

> Elwood Cordery
> Rockwell Collins
> Contract Software Engineer
> 319-295-8248

you've been using PGSQL for almost 3 months now. do
*you* think it is slow for your application and
hardware?

for my intranet application, pgsql is blazing fast -
at least with several hundred rows and complex
selects. the data will grow over time, however, it
isn't like i have 2 million rows, but i do have some
reasonably advanced selects (or so it seems to me!).

mysql has a reputation for being slightly faster for
simple tasks. i'm not sure how true that is now that
they have stapled on a lot of advanced db features
that postgresql had integrated from the beginning.

did you see that sony online entertainment chose
postgresql for their gaming site?

http://www.enterprisedb.com/news_events/press_releases/03_20_06b.do

http://mail.yahoo.com

ebcorder(at)rockwellcollins(dot)com wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I started using PostgreSQL\Postgis in January. Lately I have been
> reading on the internet many rumblings about PostgreSQL being slower than
> MySQL/SQLLite etc etc. Comparisons made were routine inserts , updates,
> and deletes. Is any of this true? If so,are there methods to speed
> things up? I used the Explain Analyze command on portgesSQL it seemed
> fast although I have not run any other DB's.
> I know when comparison tests are performed they can be tilted on these
> internet sites. But I see so many people declaring PostgreSQL to be the
> slowest I am thinking where there is smoke there's fire.

Lots of people still think Elvis is alive. :-)

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us

Congratulations on the new position at EnterpriseDB.

On 4/8/06, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> ebcorder(at)rockwellcollins(dot)com wrote:
> >
> > Hi All
> >
> > I started using PostgreSQL\Postgis in January. Lately I have been
> > reading on the internet many rumblings about PostgreSQL being slower
> than
> > MySQL/SQLLite etc etc. Comparisons made were routine inserts , updates,
> > and deletes. Is any of this true? If so,are there methods to speed
> > things up? I used the Explain Analyze command on portgesSQL it seemed
> > fast although I have not run any other DB's.
> > I know when comparison tests are performed they can be tilted on these
> > internet sites. But I see so many people declaring PostgreSQL to be the
> > slowest I am thinking where there is smoke there's fire.
>
> Lots of people still think Elvis is alive. :-)
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us
>
> + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

MySQL 5 is quickly catching up. Maybe someone can elaborate on the
advantages of Postgres over MySQL 5?

thanks,
-Sid

On 4/9/06, Mike <1100100(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Mr. Momjian,
> Congratulations on the new position at EnterpriseDB.
>

> On 4/8/06, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us > wrote:
> >
> > ebcorder(at)rockwellcollins(dot)com wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi All
> > >
> > > I started using PostgreSQL\Postgis in January. Lately I have been
> > > reading on the internet many rumblings about PostgreSQL being slower
> > than
> > > MySQL/SQLLite etc etc. Comparisons made were routine inserts ,
> > updates,
> > > and deletes. Is any of this true? If so,are there methods to speed
> > > things up? I used the Explain Analyze command on portgesSQL it
> > seemed
> > > fast although I have not run any other DB's.
> > > I know when comparison tests are performed they can be tilted on these
> >
> > > internet sites. But I see so many people declaring PostgreSQL to be
> > the
> > > slowest I am thinking where there is smoke there's fire.
> >
> > Lots of people still think Elvis is alive. :-)
> >
> > --
> > Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us
> >
> > + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

Sid Murthy